Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Muscle knots- Fibro or not?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I have had a horrible time with muscle knots in my upper back and lower shoulder. Is this part of fibro? I go through phases like anything else I do with fibro but I am beginning to wonder if maybe I am just "out of alignment" and need a chiropractic adjustment.. Today I feel as if I have been ran over by a Mack truck. I am not sure if I could stand an adjustment right now. I am so afraid someone is going to touch my shoulder and I will yell in pain before I realize what I am doing.
Posted on 08/21/11, 06:53 pm
15 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Fibromyalgia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/21/11  6:58pm
" Hi,
The knots in your muscles, are very much FM. I have some huge ones on my back, shoulders legs etc. If you read my thread, it explains exactly what they are, and how to hopefully get rid of them.
http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Fibr...
Good luck,
Jon "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/21/11  7:22pm
" No - the muscle knots are not fibro - they are myofascial pain. A lot of people (including me) have both but they're not the same thing.

Fibro has "tender points" which are not knots - just highly sensitive places in the muscle. Myofascial pain creates knots ("trigger points") in the muscles that can be worked out via massage or other methods, and can also be injected when all else fails.

We have one member, Hayleydaniels, who is our resident "expert" on myofascial pain and treatment - hopefully she'll see this and respond. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/21/11  7:35pm
" I get knots in my muscles...especially back and neck "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/21/11  7:49pm
" My understanding is the same as PeaceN2You 's.... so will not repeat.
Sorry your going through this and hope you can feel better soon.

take care
gentle hugs "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 08/21/11  8:02pm
" Fibromyalgia Knots

Print this article

Relief is available for fibromyalgia knots.
Fibromyalgia knots are hard, ropelike knots that develop in the muscles in fibromyalgia patients. They can occur in just the arms, just the thighs, or all over the body. Although treatment options are available for fibromyalgia knots, there is no cure for fibromyalgia, and the condition can be painful, chronic and long-lasting. Relief, however, is available.

Background
Fibromyalgia occurs in 3 to 5 percent of the population. Most patients diagnosed with fibromyalgia are women, but the syndrome also occurs in men and children. Nearly 25 percent of people with fibromyalgia are work-disabled. Overall pain in all the muscles of the body is the biggest and most common symptom, and fibromyalgia knots that develop in the muscles further aggravate the condition. Other symptoms include fatigue, irritable bowel syndrome, headaches, memory loss, concentration problems and increased sensitivity to noise, light, odors, foods and medications.

Identification
Fibromyalgia knots, sometimes called fibro-knots, can be felt as hard lumps in the muscle. They are usually painful, and when pressure is exerted on the knot, pain can radiate to the surrounding muscles. Most patients get them in their arms, legs and knees, although they can appear anywhere. They also can appear in groups, or just as a single knot.

Causes
Fibromyalgia knots are sometimes the result of a buildup of lactic acid in the muscle. Another cause can be a dysfunctional healing response found in fibromyalgia patients: the fibroblast, the major cell of the intramuscular connective tissue, secretes pro-inflammatory cytokines, causing painful inflammation. The Oregon Health and Science University found dysfunction of the intramuscular connective tissue in fibromyalgia. This fascia inflammation leads to overall sensitization, or pain.

Prevention
While there has been no proven cure, several steps can prevent the formation of fibromyalgia knots. Drinking plenty of water flushes out toxins that aggravate fibromyalgia symptoms. A fiber supplement that is not habit forming can help flush out toxic internal matter, too. Gentle exercise such as yoga help keep the lymph system moving. This prevents overall pain, which in turn helps prevent the dysfunctional immune response.

Solutions
Gentle massage and heat can help soothe and release the fibromyalgia knots. Massotherapy also releases the knots. Muscle relaxers such as Soma and Zanaflex can sometimes help. Lyrica is a pain medication developed specifically for fibromyalgia that can help alleviate the discomfort, although it can't fix the knots. Serratiopeptidase, an over-the-counter remedy, is an enzyme that digests the proteins causing pain and inflammation. It has been effective in treating fibromyalgia patients who are sensitive to medication.

Fibromyalgiawww.wichiaricenter.org/
The Wisconsin Chiari Institute may help Fibromyalgia Symptoms!
Fibromyalgia Diagnosisfibrocheckup.com
Living With Fibromyalgia? Get All Your Questions Answered Today!
Best Pillow on Earthwww.SobelWestex.com/BestPillow
Found in hotels around the world Available in Standard, Queen, King
Fibromyalgia DisabilityAllsup.com/Fibromyalgia-D...
Find Out If Fibromyalgia Qualifies You For Disability Income Right Now
Ads by Google
References

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia Network: Symptoms
Discovery Health: Identifying Fibromyalgia
Resources

Your Health Detective: Fibromyalgia--Understanding "Fibro-Knots"
Myalgia: Fibromyalgia Information Foundation
Photo Credit massage image by fderib from Fotolia.com;
Read Next: Trigger Points Exercises

Print this article
You May Also Like
Fibromyalgia Recovery
Fibromyalgia is a syndrome of symptoms affecting nearly 10 million U.S. citizens. Recovery is possible through pain management, treatment of co-existing conditions ...

How to Remove Muscle Knots with Pressure Points
All sorts of things cause muscle knots in our everyday lives. They can result from exercising too hard, working too much, sleeping in an unusual position, or stress ...

Fibromyalgia Knee Pain
Fibromyalgia has many victims. It is estimated that between six and eight million people suffer from this condition, which is a chronic and widespread musculoskeletal ...

Fibromyalgia Treatment Options
Fibromyalgia is not curable, but it is treatable. Treatments aim to improve symptoms of fibromyalgia. Several treatments options area available. One or more of these ...

Fibromyalgia Cure
While there is no known cure for fibromyalgia, it's possible to effectively treat the symptoms of the disorder. With a little trial and error, you can learn to better ...

How to Remove Muscle Knots
Chances are high that some time in your life you will suffer the pain of a knotted muscle. Muscles function best when they are well-nourished with the right amount of ...

Causes of Chronic Muscle Pain
Fibromyalgia is a syndrome that confuses the medical community. While no one is certain of the correct underlying causes of fibromyalgia, the number one symptom is ...

Symptoms of Fibromyalgia & Myofacial Pain Syndrome
Fibromyalgia is a condition that causes chronic muscle pain throughout the body. Myofascial pain, in contrast, affects the fascia, or connective tissue covering the ...

How to Macrame a Clew Knot
The clew knot is a decorative design based on an old mariner's knot of the same name. This style of knot gathers the cords in and then spreads them out again ...

How to Handle Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia is considered a pain syndrome, not a disease, and it is best diagnosed by a rheumatologist or other physician familiar with the condition. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 08/21/11  8:09pm
" I think we are talking about two different things. I was referring to the littl knots or bumps in the muscles, I have hundreds in my legs and other muscles, these are probably different then the big ones on my shoulders, neck and back. The later is probably the myofacial type. I still believe they are related to a build up of fibrin in the muscles, but that is just my pet peeve! We all get to have a pet peeve, don't we? ;0) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 08/21/11  8:27pm
" Thanks for the links Jonsparky. I am really in a state of fog thanks to the pain meds. I wonder what we can do about those muscle "twitches." They are not painful but EXTREMELY annoying.

BTW, I could write a book on my pet peeves. ;) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 08/21/11  8:32pm
" I don't know what the source is for that article but knots that radiate pain are not fibromyalgia - they are myofascial tender points.

Can't believe everything that's posted on the web - including here :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 08/21/11  8:33pm
" F**k it you can't even believe what I write - I meant "trigger points" not tender points. Tender points are what we have in fibromyalgia and they are a) not knots and b) don't radiate pain to other areas when pressed. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 08/21/11  8:35pm
" Here is an article on muscle twitching, I hope it helps.
http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.or... "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web