Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Electric shock-like pain
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Ok, I know I breifly mentioned this a few ago...but it has become a persistent problem. I saw my doc on 3/10 & he said the pain is caused by a condition known as 'Morton's Nueroma'. However, upon further evaluation & paying really, really close attention when the pain hits, I'm starting to question if it is that.
The pain came out of the blue. No injury, no new shoes, no high heels, no new exercises, etc. It only occurs in my left ankle and it is sharp, piercing and feels like electrical shocks. It's quick, lasts anywhere from 3-6 seconds. But it takes my breath away when it happens and causes that foot to slightly spasm. It can happen when I'm standing, sitting, laying down, walking....you name it. Movement or rest has no effect either way. I don't have any other pain in my foot at all---nothing in the ball of my foot or the toes. BUT, today I noticed that my knee is starting to feel "odd" and my left calf muscle feels tight. Those two symptoms just started today.
Does anyone else get this????? What is it and what do you do? Or what have you done? Thanks.
Posted on 03/14/11, 07:39 pm
13 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Fibromyalgia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/14/11  8:21pm
" I have gotten shocks before. Lately out of the blue, in miliseconds
i have developed tingling in the hands and feet/a bit of numbing too.
This stuff is all so whacked! It comes out of nowhere.
Just went to get B'12..i am taking that, R u?
I have heard shocks can come with perimenopause. ARe you in that age range?
Lately I have had so many weird things pop up. I think my hormones are triggering a meltdown. LOL
I am so sorry you are going through this! I know how you feel..
It is horrible! Just got my massager out and was massaging my hands and feet. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/14/11  9:01pm
" I was having those shocks of pain in my foot too. I started taking more magnesium (1000mg) daily and i dont have them no more. Plus i upped my Efexor to 225mg daily. One of them has done the trick for me.

I hope this helps you, its awful.
Hugs to you honey,
Angie oxox "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/14/11  9:08pm
" When I first got that they diagnosed me with tarsal tunnel. I went and had the surgery and it got worse if that is possible. It took me some time to realize that this is just part of the nerve pain you get with FM. They diagnose it as tarsal tunnel, Morton's Neuroma, Plantar Faciitis - all kinds of different things because they have to put a name on it. They will never believe it is just FM.

I am taking Neurontin (Gabapentin) for it. It helps a lot but doesn't get rid of it entiredly. Sometimes it feels like someone is sticking a knife in my foot or lower leg. This is also called *Voodoo pain* "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/15/11  11:19pm
" Thank you everyone! At least I'm not the only one & it's not all in my head! Just knowing that others understand helps quite a bit. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/16/11  2:55am
" I don't have this but I've read about this before. It's not uncommon for people with fibromyalgia. I'm wondering if I don't get it because I've been practicing tai chi nearly all my life. It sounds like a pinched nerve, but I'm wondering if there's something about fibro that cuts off nerve function?

D-ribose or Choline might help. You can find tons of information about these through Google. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/16/11  3:55pm
" Oh boy this is very annoying i have the feeling of electricity going through my legs thighs hands arms etc.I also get the feeling that someone is burning me with a hot light bulb oh the joys of having fibromyalgia NOT. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 03/16/11  5:28pm
" Very interesting. I do take magnesium, because of the chronic migraines. But I have to be more diligent about it and perhaps increase the amount--good tip.
As far a perimenopause goes..I'm 40 and so far my periods show no signs of slowing down! They are just as eratic and painful as ever! Unfortunately. But I also have PMDD--so there may be a connection there.
Tarsal tunnel is actually what kept popping up when I was doing my own research. I'm very skittish about surgery. (I even had a home birth! But that was when I was a strong 23 yr. old!!!) I have to check and see if I've ever tried Neurontin---I think I had it when I was in the ER during a migraine attack.
I've been practicing yoga for about 18-20 years & definitely feel a difference in my body when I can't perform my morning routine. But I have never heard of D-ribose or Choline---so I'll be looking into that as well.
I don't have the pain in my arms or hands---that has got to be awful! But it does remind me of sciatic flare-ups I had when I was pregnant. (Only that was on the right side & it effected the whole leg.) It is very similiar though. So I was also thinking that it was a pinched nerve.

You have all offered such great advice and support. Thanks again. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 03/16/11  7:53pm
" I get that in my hands and from my hips and down my thighs. The hands are worse, it's blinding. Doesn't last long, but I have to shut my eyes, clench my teeth and rub the area til it passes. I can't even think or function til it does. Haven't found a solution yet. You let ME know! lol. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 04/08/11  12:13am
" I get it in thighs feet and hands, I agree, its just part of fibro. Tramadol sometimes helps, but alot of times we just have to tough stuff out. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 04/08/11  12:27am
" I'm with your doctor - think I said Morton's Neuroma in response to your first post. I have it and the best thing done for it was a cortisone injection directly into the offending nerve. A couple of those plus giving away all my cute shoes (everything with heels) has made it tolerable.

I wear nothing but Merrell clogs now and flat sandals in the summer - mostly Crocs (they have some cute styles now) and my problems have been minimal since I did all that.

My other choice was surgery - I've heard too many horror stories about foot surgery. Kind of like spine surgery - it's just as likely to make you worse as better.

Hope it works out for you. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web