Sleep number bed?
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has a sleep number bed, and if so does it help to deal with the sleeping problems associated with fibro? I was also wondering if anyone has the adjustable one? I would appreciate any input as it's a big investment. Thanks!
Posted on 10/04/10, 01:21 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Fibromyalgia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 10/04/10  1:48pm
" I don't own one as of yet, but slept on one a few occasions while visiting with friends who had one in their spare room. Actually had one in EVERY room. While I don't really have experience with long term use, I slept very well the nights that I slept on it, and actually found that as I was trying to fall asleep, I made the bed softer and when I started to wake from pain adjusted to more firm. I was somewhat suprised in the morning of how many small adjustments I made as the night progressed until I got just the right combination.

I would guess that having this immediate ability to adjust for pressure points that are sore is helpful because it's less time "not sleeping" due to pain and pressure.

I plan to purchase one in the near future, or one of the Temper-pedic ones. I have heard good things about both from other Fibromyalgia and chronic pain sufferers. "
Reply #2 - 10/04/10  3:03pm
" Thanks for the input! I really need a good night's sleep!! "
Reply #3 - 10/04/10  4:45pm
" Hi,

Yes, we have one. We got it prior to my Fibro dx. Since then we purchased a memory foam topper. And I love my bed. I love falling asleep in it. And I miss it when I'm away from it.

I'll be honest, if I had known I had fibro prior to purchasing it, I may have gone with a memory foam bed. I still wake up in pain more often than not. I still have other sleeping issues as well. But the sleep number bed has been a Godsend.

One more suggestion....invest in some nice sheets. 600Tc or higher. It makes the bed all that much more enjoyable. "
Reply #4 - 10/04/10  4:53pm
" Hi MrsO0523. I have a sleep number bed that also has 2 layers of foam (one memory) included in the mattress. There are several price ranges of the sleep number bed and the 2 layers of memory foam come on the more expensive models. So if you are considering one, I would consider the "better" models so you have layers above the air mattress part.

That being said, we love ours. Like wyndchaiser said, I can adjust the firmness depending on my pain level. Some times I need it really soft and sometimes firmer for back pain.

Also, I like that my husband and I can each have it how we each like. He likes his softer than I do usually.

Good luck. "
Reply #5 - 10/04/10  8:43pm
" Hi' my parents have a sleep number bed,they both have fibro and my dads back is so bad the surgeons said they won't touch it unless he's in a wheelchair,and love it,they have tried many many mattresses and this is the one they kept. I have a pillow top matress that my son gave me its very comfortable,but my husband and I both wake up sore,but at least it feels good to get in it and sleep a few hrs till our pain comes back.If I would ever have the money I think I'd like to get a sleep number bed. "
Reply #6 - 10/12/10  7:02pm
" I've had my sleep number bed for a year now and absolutely love it! It really does alleviate the red pressure points they show you at the store when you lay on the bed there. "
Reply #7 - 10/12/10  7:40pm
" I just got one and i love it-much better sleep-i no longer wake up in the middle of the night! "
Reply #8 - 10/12/10  9:04pm
" I have a memory foam topper on my regular bed. My mom has a sleep number and HATES IT and when she slept in my bed this summer on a visit she fell in love with it. She got a foam topper too. I ordered mine from Costco.com they deliver it to your door. I have the one with temperature cooling properties. They say foam toppers can get warm in the summer without a cooling mattress pad. I love mine and it's a lot cheaper than a sleep number bed. "
Reply #9 - 10/18/10  9:27pm
" I have a sleep number bed, but I have had trouble with it dipping in the middle. I have to admit that I was bedridden for several years, but it has only been 4 years since we purchased it. They sent us new air bladders for it, but after a while, they too started to dip. I have been to local store,and I called mfg, but they will not send out a rep to even check is as it is still under waranty. I have to say that they have not stood behind the warranty. It has helped me with being able to adjust to my comfort level, and it would help more if it didn't roll me to the middle when I get in it.
A friend just purchased a Comfortaire, which was an offshoot of Sleep Number. I have done a lot of research on them, and their bed is constructed better. It also has a bamboo cover which has a cooling effect if you suffer from heat problems which many fibro patients do. I have heard a lot of Fibro patients like tempurpedic, but I have such severe heat issues and on times that I've slept on them, I burn up. The delivery guy told my friend that many people had issues with the heat problem with the tempurpedic, but if you don't have problems with severe sweating, then it would probably be fine. A pain Dr. at Emory Univeristy wrote an article on best mattresses for pain pain patients, but I've not been able to get a copy of it as of yet. Just trying to post info that I've researched and experienced. Each of us is different, and what may be bad for one can be good for another. Hope this will aid you in starting to research. Lay on them for a long time in the store, and sleep number does have a return policy- or they used to. Good luck. "
Reply #10 - 12/21/10  10:57pm
" We've had our sleep number for 7 or 8 years now. I too miss it when we are away from home. Even with it, I still have pain while laying down but I believe it would be much worse without it. We got the one with the pillow top and dual controls.

The only problem we had it was our neighbors had one too and for some reason their control got on our frequency so when they made adjustments to their bed, it happened to us. That was a funny situation until we found out they had a sleep number bed too. "