How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear

Family Issues Information

A dysfunctional family is a family in which conflict, misbehaviour and even abuse on the part of individual members of the family occur continually, leading other members to accommodate such actions. Children sometimes grow up in such families with the understanding that such an arrangement is normal. Dysfunctional family members have common symptoms and behavior patterns as a result of their common experiences within the family structure. This tends to reinforce the dysfunctional behavior, either through enabling or perpetuation. The family unit can be affected by a variety of factors.

There are common prototypes for dysfunction. Family heads under-function, providing few boundaries and little guidance. Their children are left to fend for themselves. Others are inconsistent or violate basic boundaries of appropriate behavior. Family members may then have profound difficulties both with their own conduct, and their ability to deal with others.

Frequently, the dysfunctional family stems from alcoholism. The problems created tend to be chronic, and are passed down generation to generation. Even if abuse of alcohol ends, the family system created may continue in the children of the children.

Health Blogs

Introverts don’t always wear a sign on their forehead calling them out and in fact, they themselves may not even be aware of their introverted nature. Having this type of personality isn’t about being shy or socially awkward. In fact, according to Dr. Martin Olsen Laney, psychotherapist and the author of The Introvert Advantage, this is ... Read More »
So in my previous 3 articles regarding children and divorce, I first discussed how to share the news of a divorce with your children. I then highlighted some of the ... Read More »
The debate, about whether or not to use corporal punishment as a disciplinary method, rages on, despite the fact that no reputable study has ever shown its use to be beneficial. Spare the rod, spoil the child is an antiquated notion that went out with rotary phones and yet some parents still resort to spanking. I get it. I understand the ... Read More »

Member Photos

Advertisement
Community Advisors
Lisa Oz
Author
Susan Quinn
Therapist

Latest Activity