Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
NA support
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Im gonna sound crazy... but i know my son when he gets out of rehab will want to hang with some of his old highschool friends who are also struggling with addiction to herion.... I am supposed to tell him that he cant hang with them.... whats the differerence of those friends who want to quite and those who go to NA meetings? there is a fine line... and Im confused.
Posted on 05/08/12, 09:07 pm
5 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Families & Friends Of Addicts. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/08/12  9:42pm
" I would say that he should focus completely on recovery and not see them at all at least until he is much stronger. If they are true friends they will understand and wait. If he just has to see them and you don't think they are a threat, invite them over for dinner and then let them sit in the living room (not his room) and talk supervised. He and his friends will probably think you are being overbearing but who cares. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/08/12  10:12pm
" It doesn't sound crazy you don't know, just like many of us didn't know until we learned about addiction and the 12 step program. They are told a couple of key things while in early recovery
1) change the people, places and things. All of these things are possible triggers.2) meetings are imperative, the objective is to build a sober network of people your son can lean on, a sponsor who will be his go to person when and if he feels the urge to use,
You don't have to tell him he knows! Now he has to do it. Also, he should delete All the numbers in his phone. I hope this helps.
Good luck "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 05/09/12  9:47am
" NA and AA are kind of a mixed blessing from my perspective. On the one hand, they can help your person realize they aren't alone and people can beat this. But on the other hand (I think this is what you're getting at), going to meetings connects them with a huge body of former addicts and people who will be relapsing, dropping out of the program sometimes, etc. Some people seem to use NA/AA to learn how to get well and some seem to use it to learn how to beat drug tests, where to find drugs, how to better cover their use, etc. Overall I think it does more good than harm and going to those meetings and hanging out with folks who are mostly in recovery is a good thing. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 05/09/12  9:50am
" Just to add something. AA/NA attendance tells you the person has admitted they have a problem to people and are at least committed enough to dedicate some hourly meetings to getting better. His friends who say they are trying to quit or have quit may or may not be honest. With addiction, there are lots of lies and deception, so seeing some actual, physical evidence like attending meetings or getting a sponsor gives you a little more confidence that you are dealing with better influences. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 05/09/12  10:02am
" THANKS ALL! "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web