Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Suicide by Hanging
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
How long does it take!
Posted on 04/12/09, 06:29 pm
25 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Families & Friends Affected By Suicide. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/13/09  12:09pm
" It takes only a quick minute. I think they said my son died within 6 minutes.
DON"T try it it can have other results,like leaving you brain dead but alive.
Why are you even thinking about this?/ "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/13/09  6:42pm
" Please read post.... "Where do I begin" with in this writing ICP777 tells of her story.

If you are inquiring because you are having thoughts, please stop....breathe....read some posts..... talk to us here!

Not knowing you or your story.......but knowing and living the aftermath of loosing someone I loved dearly to suicide.

You are not alone ~ there's way too many of us here........ "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/14/09  8:38pm
" NEVER put your family and friends through the hell of living through your suicide - if that is what you're considering. If you're grieving another's suicide take solace from those of us who are also living that hell.

It's been 1 month, 1 day and 6.25 hours since my husband took his life with one bullet. He took part of me with him that day. Part that I will never get back. I will get through this - but I will be a different person without him.

Please keep your hope - as long as there is a tomorrow there is hope for a better tomorrow. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 04/15/09  9:52am
" I'm not sure how to respond to this question but I feel I HAVE to.
My brother strangled himself to death when he was 23 years old. He took his dog's leash and choker chain, hooked it to the shower head and put the other end around his neck.
How long did it take for him to die? We don't know, but they revived him and he lived over 15 years with severe brain damage due to the lack of oxygen.
I am sorry if this sounds cold, but we always hear people saying how suicide affects everyone left behind. It hurts like hell, I won't lie. You are always left to wonder why and what could you have done? But did you ever stop to think what happens if you don't die? Yes life is hard and we have to struggle and find strength...
But I would bet anything that whatever pain my brother had in his life, whatever he was going through that he thought was so bad.... Well, I bet it was NOTHING compared to what he endured after he tried to commit suicide!
My brother suffered severe brain damage. Alot of his brain cells died from the lack of oxygen. He lost his short term memory as a result. He could NOT live on his own. He had to constantly be supervised for his safety. He would eat dinner, and in the middle of it get up to go to the bathroom. When they brought him back to the table he would get mad because he swore that was someone else's plate of food because he couldn't remember that he had eaten anything. That's how hard it was for him to grasp things. He would go to the bathroom and no sooner would he come out then he would turn around and go back in because he couldn't remember that he was just in there.
We believe that he was sexually abused while he lived in these facilities, sorry to say but the truth of the matter is some sick people see people like my brother as an easy target. There was nothing that we could do, there was no where for him to go. He had plenty of money, but no one would accept him into there facility because they didn't want to deal with him.
We went many times and met with many people and heard how great there facility was and how much they could help my brother and we would be so happy. Then they would meet with him and we would get the call "Sorry, we can't take him." And then their sorry excuses why. So what happened? He would end up in another hospital somewhere and when they didn't feel like dealing with him they would drug him up. Many, many times we would go to see him and he would be laying or sitting in clothes that he had pissed all over and we would take him to his room and clean him up.
Do you know what that is like? To see your loved one being mistreated and neglected like that? Can you imagine what that must have been like for him? They even told us that the truth is there is no place for someone like my brother. That if it wasn't for us, he would have ended up on the street until he eventually died.
It was 15 years of hell for us. My brother's life was wasted! For what?! He was 23 years old, he was smart and handsome. He was in college. He could have been/done anything he wanted. Instead he ended up like that. Over ONE stupid, hasty mistake.
The doctors said they believe what happened was he was drunk and after he put the choker chain around his neck he passed out and slumped forward and that is how he died. Maybe he would have changed his mind, but he passed out and didn't have that choice. But you do, you have a choice. You can learn from other's pain and mistakes. Don't throw your life away! Whatever you may be going through... it's alot better than what suicide will bring you.... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/15/09  5:18pm
" Nesmaine, I have to start off by asking, why do you ask? If you are thinking of committing suicide, hurting yourself or anything of that nature please don't. If you know someone that is thinking about it, please get them help. No one can fathom the pain that is caused by just a single action. If you are down, upset, sad, etc....you've come to the right place for love, support and honest generosity. No one is ever alone in life, there are always people out there like myself and others here on DS that truly care. We care because we've lived through the horrible, God awful nightmares of having someone close to us commit suicide or even thought about it ourselves. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/18/09  12:42pm
" please dont i found my cousin who committed suicide 2 years ago. 33 years old. my family will never recover from this. i will never recover from finding him. this straping young man blue and lifeless.there was nothing i could do but hold him and rock him like any mother would do. please dont do this to your family.if thats what your thinking ..get help. reach out ..keep talking.. hugs. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 04/19/09  12:13am
" I'm not sure of why you are asking. But I agree with everyone else. If you are contemplating this, don't. You will be putting everyone that loves you thru hell. It's been 1 1/2 yrs since my husband took his life. He left behind 3 beautiful children who are dealing with pain everyday knowing that he is gone. You can talk to everyone here and we will be here for you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 05/06/09  2:06pm
" How long is a piece of string.....?

I personally have had many different thoughts and visions and even plans to kill myself at times when ive felt so hopeless of a way of getting rid of my personal issues tied with depression. I ve had plans to jump off a cliff, drown, have a car crash or walk into the road and be hit by a car, jumping out of a window of a high building, and off a bridge. All these different ways of seeing no way out from my suffering. But so wrong, its not worth one bit going there. everyone will end up dying but think of eternal life, and everyone has there own difficulties and weaknesses to face in life. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 05/08/09  5:45pm
" I don't know how long it will take to end the pain of the person who chooses this. I only know that the pain of those of us who are left is just beginning and will last a lifetime. If not just for yourself, then for those who love you PLEASE PLEASE don't choose the suicide route.
My son chose to end his life last week, by hanging, he was found by his brother with his mother on the phone to make sure our boy was ok--This is NOT the way to go. There is too much love in the world that can help to ease your pain--please don't add to the pain of others "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 05/12/09  1:27am
" it varies. but something most ppl don't know is the many problems that are caused by attempted hangings. partial paralysis, spinal damage, brain damage. there are some things in this life worse than death. living through the suicide of a loved one is one of them. and if you're the one who attempted...living as a vegetable for the rest of your life, or eating out of a feeding tube, or going around in a wheel chair is worse than the initial problems you were probably already dealing with.

suicide is a permanent solution to temporary problems. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web