Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Accupuncture
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I've read that accupuncture can help ET. Has anyone tried this? I really hate taking medications and I was hoping for some sort of alternative treatment.
Posted on 01/13/09, 10:22 pm
21 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Essential Tremor. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/14/09  1:39am
" I haven't tried any medication or thought about accupuncture. Tom "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/20/09  6:30pm
" Yes, I do acupuncture for my essential tremors which are of the head/neck. It really helps me a lot in conjunction with specific vitamins. I have noticed a big improvement as well as others. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/12/09  9:36pm
" I am just starting to try acupuncture. So far I haven't noticed any improvement yet, but the Dr said it may take a while. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/15/09  8:11pm
" Yes, I go to accupuncture and I think that along with the chinese medicine, I have improved and it is very relaxing. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/09/09  7:33pm
" Here's some info re accupressure............
http://med.stanford.edu/personal/po... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/22/09  9:30pm
" I am doing Tai Chi. This does help to relax the shoulders and neck. I would still like to try accupuncture for my head tremors or perhaps a 50lb steel helmut, ha ha. Anything that works. Any more info on accupuncture would be a help. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 04/23/09  3:34pm
" My head has been taped tightly to xray machines to hold it still, all this did was shorten my head tremor amplitude.

It seems to me that accupunture might slow head tremors, but it could not prevent, for long, their increase when one is under stress.

But then, I've never tried it, so I guess why not give it a try??? :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 06/21/09  11:47am
" I wish I could try acupuncture. My parents read me a story from a holistic doctor who claimed to cure ET with acupuncture. I looked into it and it was going to cost me $600.00 just for the first visit. Crazy, if you ask me! Insurance doesn't cover alternative medicine which I think is a shame. Anyway, I got to thinking, ET is caused by the neurons in the brain misfiring or just going bad. I don't think acupunture could "cure" ET. As some of you have said, it probably helps with relaxation and all. But in my feeble mind, I don't believe it will cure ET. Just my opinion. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 08/03/09  6:58pm
" I was diagnosed with ET (head) just 5 months ago, although I've had it for more than 6 years. My neurologist prescribed Inderal but still had no results at 180mg- so I tried acupuncture. I just completed my 4th treatment last week and I have to say that I am noticing modest results. Nothing spectacular but its easier for me to relax my head & neck muscles. My husband even notices the difference. I have 2 more treatments to go. I also take various herbs and vitamins. I told my neurologist but he still wants me to try mysoline- I guess it couldn't hurt!
btw- acupuncture isn't that expensive. I pay $75/treatment. 6 treatments over 6 weeks- then stop to access the results. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 08/05/09  9:04pm
" I tried massage therapy thinking that by relaxing the neck muscles my head tremor would improve. Instead massage seems to stimulate the source, making the tremor worse.
What works best fr me. A half Xanax! This anti panic drug seems to calm the head and stops the tremor completely. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web