Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Alcohol & Essential Tremor
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
There are many that drink alcohol to calm their tremors and they say in medicine that, those whom do not react to all other medications yet some alcohol with severe tremor may be the ones for DBS (Deep Brain Stimulation - Surgery). Yet many drink small amounts to calm themselves, I was wondering if anyone does do this on a regular basis?
:)
Posted on 07/03/08, 08:55 pm
10 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Essential Tremor. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 07/10/08  2:48pm
" Drinking alcohol calms the tremor initially but you have to be careful because when the alcohol begins to break down it releases chemicals, at that point it makes my tremor worse. And if I drink too much, i can't do anything the next morning. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 07/19/08  5:44am
" I think one beer should do the trick. If I am too anxious and my tremors acts exceptionally bad then one beer normally calms me down. But I don't do it on a regular basis. I've never relied on alcohol to calm my tremors but rather to calm my nerves and in calming my nerves- my tremors isn't quite as bad. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/03/08  2:18am
" I'm an alcoholic so, I don't drink. 1 drink wouldn't be enough. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 09/01/08  8:19pm
" You don't indicate how bad your tremors are but mine are mild for now, and I drink a little wine(about an ounce) when I am home at lunch time if I have had a very upsetting morning at work. I always use some type of strong gum to mask the scent when I go back to work. This small amount helps me to not have the head shakes. I work on a computer most of the day and the tremors can affect what I am seeing on the monitor. I don't do this but maybe every 3 months because my father was an alcoholic and I have read that it is hereditary. I am not a doctor but it seems to me that doing this on a regular basis would lead to wanting to drink too much eventually. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 10/09/08  4:04am
" Alcohol is not only dangerous physically but also mentally.
==================
Taylor

http://www.alcoholtreatmentclinics.com "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 10/10/08  12:57pm
" I agree with amusemas... its my nerves / anxiety that needs calming. and a glass of wine will suffice. Just enough to relax me. Worse case scenario would be turning up to a networking evening, confronted by people I have never met before, wanting to know all about me. I would definitely have to have a drink before I set out because I certainly wouldnt be able to accept a drink when I got there. I would be throwing it all over everyone... either that or the glass wouldn't make it to my lips without tipping it all over myself! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 10/10/08  10:58pm
" There is actually a clinical study that is recruiting right now that will test octanal - the alcohol found in the skin of oranges - to see if it helps to dull arm/hand tremors.

I have noticed that a glass of wine will help to calm my tremor, but a beer won't. I usually only have about 1 drink a month, so it might even be coincidence. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 10/11/08  1:43pm
" catt33, it's interesting that wine helps you but beer does not. I've tried beer, which I dislike & would rather try something else. Wine, but what kind? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 10/11/08  5:04pm
" JaneDoll,

Thanks for the response. Just a simple glass of red wine. I really don't drink white too much so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. All I know is that I'm not going to start drinking wine every day. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 10/11/08  9:09pm
" Please tell me more about the Orange Skin that was mentioned here, am aware of Octanal but not this- " There is actually a clinical study that is recruiting right now that will test octanal - the alcohol found in the skin of oranges - to see if it helps to dull arm/hand tremors.

I have noticed that a glass of wine will help to calm my tremor, but a beer won't. I usually only have about 1 drink a month, so it might even be coincidence. " "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web