Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
When to go to Hospital?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I ahd the worst seizure ever last night according to my hubby. It lasted 3 minutes. He kept wanting to take me to the hospital, but I refused. I thought my neuro said I only needed to go if I was injured or had another seizure within 24 hours.

When should you go to hospital? I don't want to end up in status again. That happened 2 years ago, and it was horrible!

I have emergency valium to take when I have auras or seizures to prevent status, so I thought there was no need to go...

What do you all think?

Alice
Posted on 04/28/09, 08:41 am
6 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Epilepsy & Seizures. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/28/09  4:47pm
" I dont have seizures but my son does...I was told if the Seizure lasts more then 5 min..then to go and get Medical attention...I know i went so many times with my son but most of the time hes over them..then just like nothing happened at all..So i found it to be useless to go ech time...So i guess is to check in with your doc... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/28/09  5:06pm
" If I have seizures for 5 mins then it's time for an ambulance. I've only been taken twice but have been advised it is the best thing to do. I black out during these episodes and have no recollection of anything afterwards. Don't mess around with your ep. let your hubby call an ambulance or get you medical care if he is in any doubt. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/29/09  1:42pm
" I agree with kamz with the blackout seizures and the seizures that last longer 20 mins. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 04/29/09  4:30pm
" The time length of seizures may vary from person to person. It is common to have 2 seizures in one day, without the need to go to the hospital. However if the seizure happens more than twice, then start one right after another without giving the brain the chance to recover consciousness, the this is a serious status condition, which requires going to the hospital right away or call for emergency assitance "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/30/09  9:47am
" Well the seizures can go on for some time, and we called fire rescue 3 times in one year for my daughter, age then about 25,. But each time she had low pressure, heart rate very high, they gave her meds but she didn't go back to normal so they took her each time to the ER. Then they did tests, and IV, some hours later when she was stable, she could come home.
so.... i hope this is helpful in a way? The recovery time and vital signs , and condition after the seizure may warrant some medical assistance.
And... one of the test showed that she had very low blood sugar and that was a trigger. They put IV with glucose and fed her. Can't skip meals, OK??? xooxoxo deeee "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/30/09  10:04am
" Thanks everyone. I will have my hubby read this thread since I am not usually concious or all there during/after seizures. He gets so scared and wants to call 911 every time. I HATE going to hospital for seizures... but I'll do what I have to do. I have been in status before, and they are so frequent lately, I feel I'm in danger of it again.

Alice "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web