Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Depersonization or Derealization Triggered by Siez
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Has anyone experienced or ever have a seizure trigger derealization ( your surroundings appearing cartoon or depersonalization( not feeling real or questioning your identity.)? Or even experience this in the aftermath of a seizure. Cher Bear
Posted on 01/09/08, 11:19 am
6 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Epilepsy & Seizures. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/09/08  11:49am
" Usually after a grand mal I have no idea who I am. That's the only time that I can remember feeling this way.

During some of my partial seizures I tend to feel like I'm not really in my body, but I'm not sure if this type of feeling is what you are referring to. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/09/08  12:19pm
" When i have my more sever Complex Partials I get a feeling like I am watching my self on TV--like it isn't reality. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/11/08  12:20am
" depersonalization/derealization is very common with seizures. Even simple partial ones. But it can also be caused by medications....or using the wrong med. DP/DR is one of the symptoms (aura's) that I experience before every seizure (at least the ones I remember that is).
It is as if you are not real. and neither are those around you. Hard to explain unless you have had this happen to you.
It is very frightening, and usually only lasts for a short time. but the experience stays with you because of it's effect on your feeling of sanity.
I have learn to dismiss it over time. That is to say, I know what has happened and that it will go away. It makes those episodes easier to deal with. I am not going crazy ( at least according to me ).

It is my belief that many people have this happen to them but are afraid to talk about it. either because others wouldn't understand or they believe that maybe they are losing their mind. But you aren't.

Check on a possible med change. Or are you taking any benzodiazapenes? They are famous for having this effect on people. But you may have to learn to live with it. Just remember....It always goes away.
You WILL get better at dealing with these episodes. Hold on to that.
God bless
Jim "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/11/08  12:41am
" That is an aura that takes place before a grand mall or other which makes you feel a loss of time and space. It is so alien and not what the body makes comfort with but there is some savior or awareness. Sometimes not. It is not a joke though and the medical community still has a lot to learn from these nerve disorders. Surgery, medications, and all profitable areas are the first to be done but there are some benefits to meditation and control of the body prescriptions make idiodic. You have to know what is happening and do not think the medical diagnosis is 100% accurate. They are all for profit from a chemical diagnosis and will make things in your natural system mixed not matter what the situation. Sometimes good and perhaps sometimes bad...
Best regards,
Beth "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/12/08  12:14am
" I have experienced derealzation after strong grand mals. It occurs as my memory attemps to return to normal state. This is slowed sometimes with me because of the amount of med.s I'm taking. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/12/08  12:59pm
" It just boggles my mind. I have been studying about epilepsy for months now. So out of desperation I thought I would take a stab in the dark and ask the question. It's funny I don't remember in all my studies that DP Or DR was mentioned.Thank you all for your descriptions they were all very helpful. Your right it is hard to describe it,and I'm not sure how to explain it to my boyfriend and family.And I didn't realize this could be part of the aura as well.My first time was very frightening and confusion. I was very uneducated. So what do you do to make yourself feel more grounded when you are having an episode?I feel so extremely alone and isolated.I want to embrace the all of me.Please others share your experiences. Cher Bear "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web