Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
My girlfriend has seizures...
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi folks. I've been dating an amazing girl for some months now. She has seizures, bad ones, and all the other side effects that go along with the treatment of epilepsy; the meds make her feel drugged and out of it, and she hates it, and she forgets things, and hates it, and worries about seizures, and hates it more than anything. I want so badly to reach out to her; but when she's having a rough time I don't know what to do or say. I know it bothers her when she feels like I'm checking up on her. It bothers me when I can't answer my phone and it turns out she's been having seizures. How can I be there for her....what do you say when you can't make it better? What do you want to hear when things are so bad and saying "It's ok" is probably not true?
Also, is it possible to make sure someone is not biting their tongue during a seizure?
Posted on 05/02/13, 12:52 am
2 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Epilepsy & Seizures. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/02/13  8:43am
" How can I be there for her....what do you say when you can't make it better? What do you want to hear when things are so bad and saying "It's ok" is probably not true?

The best thing you can do is comfort her, buy her a gift or take to places that you both agree on, and both of you are happy. Have an enjoyable conversation with her, that is not stress related. As for her medical condition, leave that up to the treating doctor(s). In the awake of a seizure, try NOT to restraint the person down, but rather move objects out of the way, to prevent injury. Don't put anything in the person's mouth to prevent biting or swallowing the tongue, the convulsions should slowly stop. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/04/13  7:26am
" Hey hang in there! You’re still around and that’s awesome! I have seizures and my partner stuck by me and now we are happily married, and now I don't have them. We are considering having babies too. Remember seizures are a condition (often short term) and not who she is. It can alter lifestyle but is manageable. Let her know that you will always be there and you will everything you can even if you can't answer your phone. Maybe you could tell your boss the situation and just say that sometimes you will need to make a phone call to make sure she is okay. It is really hard for her. There are two ways in which medication can fail: 1 it doesn't control the seizures, and/or 2 if there are side effects. Because her medication is failing in both ways, she is probably be on the wrong one. Once that is sorted out then it won't be hard on either of you. She can be more independent and you won't have to worry as much. Also, don't let her drive, and don't let her have a bath or swim by herself. Even though I am seizure free my hubbie won't let me (he cares too much apparently :) "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web