Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Nickel Allergy
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Does anyone else have an allergy to Nickel?
I was diagnosed in 2002. I cannot wear cheap jewellery etc, but it also affects my diet. Because things like Tea and Chocolate contain lots and lots on Nickel, so I have to be careful what I eat.
Nickel is also found in some fruit and veg, tinned fruit, nuts, pulses, oats, wholemeal, low fat spreads the list is endless.
I would be intersted to hear from others with this allergy.
Posted on 04/12/07, 05:25 am
16 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Environmental Allergies. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 07/20/07  6:27am
" i want to know more about what has nickel in it. im wanting to open and allergy asthma store and your input would help me know what not to stock. thanks "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 07/21/07  1:00pm
" Hi Haedi,

I have a nickel allergy as well but mine is no longer active according to the MELISA testing I had done however it is still in my tissue and organs. You should go to www.melisa.org and on that website they have a list of foods that have nickel in them as well as excellent scietific articles on metals and autoimmunity. There is a study that looked at CFS and found that 42% of the participants had an allergy to nickel.

I have a long history of nickel allergy and could write a book. They put a biopsy clip made of stainless steel and nickel and I was extremely sick for five years and I am still sick. I immediately started grinding my teeth and had many fillings replaced and after that the grinding stopped and no more plaque and my pockets went away. The fillings must have had nickel in them. Anyway I was so allergic to nickel that I developed Secondary Adrenal Insufficiency due to an infiltration disease from the nickel. I can no longer work and I can't get help from most of the doctors I see. Remember it's all about the money. Think about what would happen if they couldn't use nickel in hip and knee replacements. They are also putting stainless steel nickel stents in people's hearts and if they are allergic to nickel they are going to have a terrible time with it and perhaps even die. This is my opinion. I hope you join me and decide to do something about this terrible metal. In Europe they know how bad it is. It's the same with amalgam and it's all a big cover up. Remember money is first in this country and patients are last on the list. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/23/07  1:12am
" thanks for the website. i knew allergies and cfs were possibly linked. among lots of other stuff. i cant prove it but its probably a matter of time before they find links in alot of stuff to allergies. ya i know patients come last and alot of them dont realize they even have allergies. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 07/24/07  12:19am
" I'm allrgic to nickel and silve. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 07/24/07  12:19pm
" I developed a nickle allergy after getting my ears pierced when I turned 15 and wearing silver ear rings. After that, anything metal that touched my skin gave me horrible red welts that would weep and crust over. I always had a rash on my stomach from the snaps on jeans or a belt buckle, same with bras. I stopped wearing all jewelery even the so called hyper allergenic that was stainless steel.I let my ear holes heal over.

It's a little better now(30 yrs later) and I can wear some jewelery from Simply Whispers and even re pierced my ears, but for the most part I avoid any metal touching my skin. Even my glasses will irritiate me in the Summer. I suspect my dental fillings irritate my mouth.

I didn't realize there was nickle in food. I notice that some food make me itch after eating them and could never figure out the culprit. I will be very curious to look at that website. Thank you Sharon for posting that. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 07/25/07  10:56pm
" I am not allergic to nickle but had a friend that was. She would be embarressed(?) because she had to put tape on her bluejean buttons. There were other things that she had to do but she found that the most embarrasing(?). I learned a lot from your post. A lot that I take for granted. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 07/31/07  6:09pm
" Hi Rossiroo,

I read your post and all I can say is for me it had to do with body burden. As I said I have a long history of nickel allergy. I've had severe reactions to stainless steel sutures and when I handled coins with wet hands I got a severe rash. After a month of having the clip in my breast I tested negative for a nickel allergy even though the above things had already happened. After five years they took the clip out and I was retested. I came up highly positive for nickel allergy. I have to say that now when I think back I was also reacting to nickel when I had braces on. It's just a matter of connecting the dots. I also have IBS although I have not been diagnosed with this I now believe it was the nickel. Please go to www.melisa.org if you want more information on this terrible metal. My guess is you will not get any help from the medical community as they are not concerned with the patients only with the corporations and organizations they don't wish to fight or are taking kickbacks from. Again this is my opinion. I can only talk about how hard it was for me and how I will spend the rest of my life trying to get the message out. Did I tell you I have a fatty liver, white spots of signal abnormality on my brain and according to my doctor an infiltration disease causing me to have Secondary Adrenal Insufficiency. In other words the nickel has infiltrated my organs and tissues. It is serious and I may never be able to work again. I am doing chelating right now but I have to keep stopping because it's too much. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 08/23/07  2:38pm
" I wanted to let everyone know if you are allergic to nickel you want to make sure you check the labels of supplements as I found that Centrum Silver had nickel in it and I became very sick from them. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 08/31/07  9:23pm
" I had a friend that took her daughter to the allergist and found out that she was allergic to nickel. She would have to put tape on her buttons on her jeans too. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 09/05/07  12:38am
" I have a nickel allergy. Learned when I was about 8 and wore a cheap pair of earrings. I never took them out and my ear got so inflammed that the back of my ear grew over the earring. I had to have it surgically removed. I still cant wear anything cheap. I get rashes even from the button on my jeans. Just another annoyance but I found that putting paper tape or clear nail polish over it helps. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web