Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Flomax for Enlarged Prostate
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Tell us about your personal experience with Flomax as a treatment: Has it worked? Have you had any issues? Any recommendations or tips?
Posted on 10/12/06, 08:00 am
12 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Enlarged Prostate. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/25/07  8:48pm
" flomax is doing a geat job.i am having regular bowel movements, before i was not,so prostate getting smaller for me to go to bathroom better "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/16/07  9:35pm
" I've been taking Flomax and Avodart for a years or so. The two combined work better than either of them alone. As I understand it, Flomax relaxes the muscles around the urethra allowing a better flow while Avodart actually shrinks the prostrate. I found that Flomax works within a few days but Avodart takes a few months. My PSA readings have dropped (2.xx)since I'm been on this combination but I'm not sure if that is good or not. If I stop this treatment and it goes back up then all it is doing is masking the the real reading. My doctor has not given be good answers about this.
The two work good for me but you will have some sexual disfunction. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 11/21/07  10:49pm
" I have been using Avodart, a similar prescription, for 6 months now and it actually shrinks the prostate and not just treat the symptoms. I think Flomax does the same. I have used Avodart with success!
Gene "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 11/22/07  8:47am
" Actually only Avodart shrinks the prostrate. Flomax is an alpha blocker that works by relaxing the muscles in the prostrate that surround the urethra. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 11/30/09  8:35am
" I was on Flomax for a while - it wiped out my prostate symptoms and for that reason, it was good.

But, the side effects. The first was an inability to climax - that symptom revealed itself within a couple days. After about a week, I found myself impotent. My libido was way down, but since I am in a low sex marriage [wife's libido is very low], I didn't mind the loss of my libido. In fact, I rather liked it - I felt satisfied and the sexual frustration was gone.

But, what made me have to discontinue after giving it a try of several months - on the advice of my urologist - was the back pain.

Now, about 8 months later, I still have erectile dysfunction - but I can climax under the right circumstances. Unfortunately, my libido is back to its normal, frustrating self. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 12/06/09  1:00pm
" I've been taking Flomax about nearly two months, having had all the classic symptoms of enlarged prostate as diagnosed by my dr. I've noticed an improvement on the horrible urgency I used to see prior to taking it, but I still get up at least twice a nite, and its hard to get the last bit out.. I see some people here are taking both Flomax and Avadart.. Is that often needed when one doesn't do the whole job? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 05/08/10  5:47am
" Hi I am from Australia and I have been taking Prazosin for a few years. It is on our national health scheme and costs only $5.40 a script.Flomax here would cost about $65 a script! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 04/04/11  8:58pm
" I used Flomax for about 4 years . The results are rather mixed as my condition improved but not substantially . However , three weeks ago
I went to a different Urologist whilst I was in Costa Rica . The doctor
suggested a switch to Cardura -XL 4.00 Mg which I did relucantly at first. In addition , I have implemented some life style changes at the same time . I stopped taking any Caffeine of any sort and not just from Coffee . I mean everything , tea , chocolate , and even green tea which is supposed to be good. I cut my caffeine consumption cold turkey , but with hinsight I recommend a gradual approach .
Although , I am not a heavy drinker I also stopped drinking , beer , wine etc . Finally, I stopped knowengly having any spicey food which apparently inflames the prostate . Additionally , I started taking Saw Palmeto and drinking Cranbury Juice .
My Condition improved a lot and I am to see whether another improvement is on the way . I have cut the nightly visit from about 6-7 times a night to about 2 to 3 . I have also cut the day visit to the bathroom by about have or more .
I do not know whether the improvement is due to a switch from Flomax to Cardura -XL ,or whether is corrolated to lifestyle changes .
However, I can claim that within 3 weeks I achieved more success than in four years . The jury still out to the exact reason for the improvement .
Any comments would be appreciated . "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 05/28/11  9:43am
" Three years ago I have tried flowmax and worked great but then I wanted something to shrink prostrate so I was put on Avodart but read side effects so then I tried accupunture. Today I am on no drugs, blood test come back with no sign of enlarged prostrate for the past two years. Only go once a night most times depending on how much I drink week before. Still have weak urine flow but just trying Bell Prostrat ezee flow tea to add additonal help. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 06/26/11  9:36pm
" I took flomax for 3-4 years with moderate success. About 2 years ago I finally went to a urologist and he switched me to Uroxatrol which again worked okay for about 18 months. I decided a couple of months ago to try to get off of all the meds I could so I had the Thermatrx procedure done. It's still to early to declare success, but the initial signs are promising. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web