Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
New Almost Empty Nester
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi everyone, Well many of you have gone through this and some are just now going through this. My time is coming. I have two children (adults). My son is 25, my daughter 22. My son is going to be married in July and will be moving 35 mins away (which isn't to bad). Have been trying to deal with his leaving home. Two days ago, my daughter hits me with the fact that in 3 - 4 weeks she will be moving in with her boyfriend. Now I feel like I have been hit in the face with a brick wall. She will only be 10 mins away, and while they both assure me that I will see them plenty, I fear I will not. Life has a funny way of taking hold. I cannot imagine time without them. I know I have to try and keep busy. My husband feels as I do,but life is life. We all did it. It's just sooooooo hard!
Posted on 01/22/12, 09:12 pm
11 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Empty Nests. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/25/12  8:50am
" It is not easy. I've done the empty nest in reverse. My daughter is 19 and is living at my home our Florida while she goes to college. My hubby and I our living out of state now due to his work. I miss her terribly. It has left me feeling like "now what" do I do? I am going to Fl soon for a couple of weeks. My daughter is actually very excited about me coming home for a bit. We saw each other in August for a few weeks, and at Christmas for a week. I wasn't ready for this at all! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/25/12  6:29pm
" Hello. I think what you are feeling is pretty normal. I have went through it lately too. Our oldest son who will be 21 in March left last Summer to be on his own. Our oldest daughter who will be 22 in a few days has lived with us for a couple of years after a pretty rough divorce. She has 3 little girls (her youngest was born the 12th of this month so I have a new granddaughter!) she moved out right after Christmas. We still have our youngest son who will be 19 in March, living at home but I miss my two oldest like crazy. We talk to our daughter daily but our oldest son we have not seen since Christmas. It took some getting used too but I realized I just had to let them go and live their own lives. If you need a friend please feel free to add me! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/02/12  8:04pm
" Hi, This is my first time on this forum. I am a single Mom. My three kids have meant everything to me. I poured my heart and soul into their well-being, especially after the divorce in 2003. They are my favourite people and we have lived together very closely for 20 years. My first-born went to college in the fall. I couldn't believe how painful it was to leave him at college and drive home by myself....man oh man. That HURT!!! Now, I'm anticipating my 2nd son, who is my kindred spirit, going to university in the fall AND going to Mexico for a week over March break. I've never missed one of his birthdays but this year I won't be with him for his 18th. He'll be back and I know I'll survive March break...but it's just a big change and I love having him around. I love having all of them around. My daughter is 16 and still at home.

Sadiee (I added the e 'cause Sadie was already taken!) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/03/12  2:46pm
" I feel your pain it seems like it happens so fast your just not ready for it.Ihad the luxury of having my kids nearby for their college years and they were kind enough to not hit me all at once my daughter a twin even rescued a puppy right before she told me she was moving out. Her sister had moved out 6 months before her and my son had just graduated college and was leaving for officer candidate school,even though at first they weren't far little by little moving and in my sons case stationed a lot farther away,Idon't know what I would have done if skype didn't exist,Ikeep telling myself I did my job and I did it well and it is what it is and I probably wouldn't change it if I could their all awesome people 2 awesome 1st grade teachers who love their jobs and my2nd lieutenant in the united states marine corp who was born to be a marine and I couldn't be prouder of all my children but will miss the chaos everyday Iv'e gotten through the worse I'm sure you will too. By the way my puppy just turned 4 so it was not over night. Good luck and God bless "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/03/12  2:47pm
" I feel your pain it seems like it happens so fast your just not ready for it.Ihad the luxury of having my kids nearby for their college years and they were kind enough to not hit me all at once my daughter a twin even rescued a puppy right before she told me she was moving out. Her sister had moved out 6 months before her and my son had just graduated college and was leaving for officer candidate school,even though at first they weren't far little by little moving and in my sons case stationed a lot farther away,Idon't know what I would have done if skype didn't exist,Ikeep telling myself I did my job and I did it well and it is what it is and I probably wouldn't change it if I could their all awesome people 2 awesome 1st grade teachers who love their jobs and my2nd lieutenant in the united states marine corp who was born to be a marine and I couldn't be prouder of all my children but will miss the chaos everyday Iv'e gotten through the worse I'm sure you will too. By the way my puppy just turned 4 so it was not over night. Good luck and God bless "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/03/12  2:55pm
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 03/10/12  9:35pm
" Thank you all for your responses. I know we are all in this together. There really isn't much advice we can give each other is there? I guess it's something we all must go through and just try and hold each other up the best we can. Let's just be thankful, they are happy and healthy. My sister-in-law lost her 33 year old son (who lived with them) 2 years ago. I do thank God I am going through this rather than what she is going through. So lets count our lucky stars there. Hard as it may be. Blessings to you all! Stay in touch. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 03/11/12  10:45pm
" Hi, Maybe we can't give each other much advice but I think it is important to hear from other people who are going through it that the feelings are very real and normal and that other people have felt the pain as well. I was surprised at how hard it hit me after I drove my first-born to college last fall. It hurt like hell. I hadn't anticipated that. A part of me thought my 3 wee ones would be with me forever and in the same wonderful pattern of living under the same roof. I think it helps a lot to know that these feelings are normal and that we're not alone.

Sara "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 03/12/12  1:19am
" Sadiee, Of course they are normal feelings, and yes, they do hurt like hell. I just found something out ~ my son just went to bed and it's 1 a.m. He came down earlier to talk to me because he realized his wedding is 4 months away. He is a nervous wreck about leaving home. We are not the only one's going through something tough. Our children do too. Even when they prefer not to show it. As much as it hurts me to see them move out, I gave him the best advice I could by telling him that HIS feelings are normal and that we will see each other often and as long as he is sure he loves her and wants to spend the rest of his life with her, he is doing the right thing. So I now realize that no matter how much I am hurting, my children go through the exact same thing, and who did they come to? MOM! and who helped them? MOM. It will be hard for everyone. A huge adjustment ~ but I know we will go through it together and will help each other. I love my children more than life itself, but I need to be sure they are happy and in a life of their own before I leave this world (which I don't plan on doing anytime to soon). I think it is something every mother wants to see. Hard? Yes it is, and we are all here to help each other. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 03/25/12  6:23pm
" Ive learned alot from listening to all of you. I am thankful that I am not alone. And we are all loving beings feeling saddened. hugs around Karen "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web