Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
wet wraps
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I have heard of people using Wet wraps. What are they and do they help?
Posted on 06/21/12, 11:30 am
4 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Eczema. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 06/26/12  6:04am
" I wish someone would answer, sounds like a great idea havent heard of this so cant help but I will be following this "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 07/05/12  1:48pm
" I tried this when my son was a newborn (he hated it of course). First you wash off or take a bath. Then you moisturize as much as you can tolerate. Put a pair of 100 percent cotton jammies on that are tight and once they are on soak them with warm water. Put a pair of looser fitting jammies on top. Maybe I'll try this again on my guy, after trying so many things, you tend to go back to square one! Good luck "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/12/12  5:23pm
" Hi there!

The way to do wet wraps varies, but the goal of every single one is the same: to lock hydration against your skin to maximize absorption.

I've been at this a long time-(akin with my eczema, I periodically suffer from skin so dry that it sometimes cracks), and I've received several different instructions on how to do these wet wraps. .

One way was a variation of the suggestion by fedupmomma09. I was told to take a short bath or shower and, while still wet/ damp, slather on lotion/ cream/ uber-moisturizer, and put on layers on top- not just one (though the cotton, at least for the first layer, [which, yes, should be damp or wet] is best). I was told to sleep overnight like this, wearing at least 2 layers of clothing (three was better) before cleaning up in the morning. Cleaning up involved another SHORT rinse off, if anything; (usually if you were all sweaty during the night) otherwise I was told to take a soft cloth and GENTLY wipe over the top of my skin, picking up the extreme excess while leaving a layer of moisturizer on.

Another doctors approach was a bit- different. The first two steps were the same, but she then told me to wrap the effected areas in plastic wrap (!) and leave the wrap on for at least 2-3 hours. Her reasoning for the wrap was that it wouldn't soak up Any of the lotion, nor would it allow for the moisture to evaporate.
The steps regarding cleanup for that one were pretty much the same- with a caution to have a trash can ready.

Basically, it boils down to this, as far as I understand it:

1.) Get your skin clean- take a bath or shower. Don't make it too long.
2.) Slather a rich moisturizer (one that has really worked for you, but HAS NOT caused you any irritation) on your still very damp skin.
3.) Encase your heavily moisturized self in some sort of system that makes it so the moisturizer has nowhere else to go but into your skin.
4.) Keep the wet wraps on for at least a few hours- if you can, all night is probably better, especially with the one that just involves layers of wet/dry clothing.

5.) Clean up- a short bath without too much scrubbing, or a wipe down with a very soft, gentle cloth have both been recommended to me. Steer clear of very hot water- it'll zap your skin of all the great moisture you just gave it. If you ARE doing the cloth method, be sure to not rub too hard over your skin. Make sure that you either leave a layer of moisturizer on, or put on your regular moisturizer after your rub down.

SOME ADVICE:

1.) IF THE WET WRAPS CAUSE YOUR SKIN TO BECOME IRRITATED, DO NOT KEEP THEM ON- The goal here is to Help your symptoms, not make them worse or cause more.
It could be that your skin needs to breathe a bit more than it can; try a little less moisturizer or a lighter one- the milder one you can find to use, the better.

2.) IF YOU ARE USING PLASTIC WRAP: Please be careful to not wrap yourself too tight- you don't have to limit your motion, just keep the moisturizer covered so it can do its job.

I really hope this helps answer your question, at least a little bit! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/08/12  8:00am
" During my sons hospital stints to control his eczema the following method was used. We pretty much continued the treatment day and night for 12 mths. Now we use it mainly on his legs in summer to provide a barrier that is cool - long pants cause him to overheat and thus flare.

Another method that I think is simpler and allows greater (normal) movement is using Tubifast. This is a two-way stretch tubular bandage that comes in different sizes in a roll that you cut to length. Cut it 1 1/2 times the length of the limb as it can be washed but it shrinks in length (not width). For a child a larger size can have arm holes cut in it to make a singlet. We actually also made a face mask for our son. Spread the emollient thick like icing and put on one layer of Tubifast that has been wet and lightly wrung out. Then put a second dry layer on. It is important to keep them moist. When they dry repeat the process - the same wraps can just be re-wet and applied for that day. The wet wraps keep the skin moist and hence supple. And definitely seems to reduce the itch. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web