Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
EDNOS..
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I feel like this is so little known, or talked about... I restrict so much, I barely eat at all, but I don't look anorexic and for that reason I feel like no one takes me seriously about having this...

any one out there like me?
Posted on 07/12/13, 03:25 am
8 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Eating Disorders. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 07/12/13  11:33am
" i hav EDNOS as well......i restricted a lot, but i'm overweight and i don't look like i have an ED....BUT the visions that we have in our head of how someone "should" look isn't real.....just because we look healthy doesn't mean we are.....i believe you and if you ever wanna talk, i'm here "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 07/12/13  1:02pm
" i believe you also, people have no idea what you are going through, they just see the outside. most people sadly have no clue about eating disorders. are you seeing a therapist? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/13/13  7:01am
" I think that there are so many people out there who don't meet the 'exact' criteria for a specific disorder - more than any of the formally diagnosed ones (e.g. anorexia, bulimia, BED, etc).

This can be one of the hardest places to be as you can be really ill, not able to get the help you need and as you say not taken seriously. I think that there is starting to be an awareness of a 'spectrum of eating disorders' and many people move backwards and forwards between different kinds of eating disorders.

Try and reach out for help - maybe a therapist or dietician experienced in working with ED?

Wishing you lots of strength. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 07/14/13  2:59am
" I have tried to see a therapist who can help me with anorexia and the depression and anxiety i get from having it, but they basically say they can't see me because my condition and feelings and symptoms aren't serious enough....
its like they only want to help you if you look like a skeleton or attempted suicide over it. I thought that the point was to help us before we end up like that?.. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 07/15/13  10:55am
" that is CRAZY that they won't see you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my therapist specializes in EDs and my dieititan totally agrees with her that i need to see her......keep on looking for a therapist....or a dieititan....you need to see someone to get healthy!!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 07/15/13  7:30pm
" Agreed, I also have ED-NOS. And when I met with the hospital ED team, they wanted me to do 1-2 months inpatient. To which I absolutely refused, it's a horrible program. The outpatient program at a women's clinic is MUCH MUCH better here, but that's beyond the point. Some people literally will never lose enough weight to get diagnosed with anorexia even though they die from the eating disorder... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/09/14  2:36pm
" I have ednos and restrict a lot to. im also physically disabled so no one takes me seriously...that and i dont look sick yet...eventho ive lost a lot of weight the last 3 months "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 02/09/14  9:23pm
" My whole life, I've always been asked, "Are you anorexic/bulimic?" To which I could always confidently answer: No. But if someone had only asked me the right question, like, "Do you restrict your food to an obsessive and unhealthy point for purposes other than losing weight?" I could have realized myself that I had an eating disorder and gotten help a long time ago. An eating disordered person tends to be viewed as someone who struggles with body image and controls food intake accordingly, when there are actually many reasons why a person would take comfort in controlling this daily aspect of life. You should be taken seriously and don't let anyone tell you that you don't have an eating disorder. Have you looked into Eating Disorders Anonymous meetings in your area? "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web