Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
High Functioning Dyspraxics
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I have two degrees, was an accountant and then a Lawyer for sixteen years, carrying out multi million pound deals. Dyspraxia, Aspergers and BP ( i am those too) often are high functioning and successful. Tell me that this is true.
Posted on 11/10/09, 03:32 pm
4 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Dyspraxia & Apraxia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/18/09  6:05am
" I agree. I have dyspraxia and have never been to a special school, I have always fought to survive with the 'normal' non dyspraxic people. I think however we do have various stumbling points. Those I have talked too agree that these are often seemingly simple everyday tasks such as paying bills or filling in forms. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/21/10  3:54pm
" ive never been to a special school but was always in special classes because they thought i couldnt handle mainstream classes but i showed them :D im as articulate as they come hahahaha yay for us "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/25/10  11:42am
" I am the same, I am currently studying for a degree in Paramedical science...something that I was told I should stop dreaming about many years ago because being dyspraxic and autistic and everything else it was never going to happen! Well here I am with support but I am doing it. I have had full time 1-1 support for years, never went to an SEN school, ok I am far from "normal" but with the right help and support I function in a mainstream world! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 07/20/10  9:10am
" My 12-year-old son was diagnosed with dyspraxia and dysgraphia, low muscle tone, migraines and he has to wear a scoliosis brace.

He has a high verbal IQ and is very articulate. He recently got a lead role in his children's musical theater group's production of Seussical the Musical. He is doing very well. He used to have timing issues and fatigue issues that made dancing difficult, but his timing got better and the new director lets him sit and watch the dance practices when he has to rest. If he doesn't take breaks his feet hurt because the arches in his feet collapse and his legs hurt at night.

He does so well that some people are surprised that he has a disability of any kind. He is able to do improv imitations of people and is able to do lots of different accents. He is able to copy their mannerisms. Kids like him because he is really funny.

My son is homeschooled but has taught himself much more than I taught him. He taught himself to type so handwriting is not a problem. He takes piano lessons and would like to learn guitar.

People tell me that he has such a good attitude. I think he has a chance of being more successful than his adult siblings who do not have a disability. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web