Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
People, People, People
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Ok, I was wondering if anybody has ever been through something like this. Just the other day I went to the hair salon just to get my ends trimmed. I pre wash my hair so that way I don't have to wash it at the salon since placing my head to far back can cause a spell. Well I tell the guy to please not to tilt my head to much and I explained why..... and what do I get!....the same face I always get ...an " Are you sure you have that" Face. But why? Really? and what is that?
I even had a dentist B**ch at me and complaining that she can't do her work because I'm laying at a 45* angle and not flat the way they like. I had previews work done with another dentist and never complaint more like understood.

Does anybody also gets this from people or Doctors that can't understand what you have. So they have the need to start asking the non-sense questions.

Anybody have a method or suggestion on how to handle people like this.
Posted on 03/14/08, 06:10 pm
5 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Dizziness & Vertigo. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/15/08  12:50am
" Thank Goodness....I am not the only one! Although I usualy do not say anything and just try my hardest to roll with it when people have to move my head, I thought I was the only one that goes through that. I have not gone to the dentist lately for that reason. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/15/08  10:57am
" Tell them you have vertigo and that IF your symptoms are provoked it may cause you to vomit. That usually gets them. As for the dentist. You can be at a 45 degree angle and have that suction thing in your mouth so you don't have to get up and down to rinse, etc. If your dentist does not understand - find another dentist. Thankfully, I have not had a problem with my dentist. As for hair salons I have to tell them to not spin the chairs either. I can handle putting my head back for a wash, but not tilted all the way back - you can be at an angle there as well - not as easy to wash and you may get a little wet but it works. Again, just find people that will work with you. You don't need to aggrivate your symptoms. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/15/08  10:41pm
" Unless you have this condition, you cannot relate to it. EVERY time I go to the hair salon or the dentist where I am put in that situation, I just tell them that I have vertigo and I am unable to lie flat or backward. I even made a spa adjust the bed to get a facial because I could not lie back. The bottom line is, if they don't get it or give you a look-SO WHAT?? When YOU are paying for a service, you can do whatever you want! If they don't like it, go somewhere else. For those who are genuinely concerned, I take the time to educate. The more people that are aware, the less we will see these "insensitive" reactions to our condition. I personally respond to nonsense questions with equally matched nonsense answers: "Do we REALLY need to sit you up to wash your hair? It will get water everryyywhhhheerre."
"Of course not! Just let me know-would you prefer for me to vomit on your outfit or your shoes?" "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/16/08  2:08pm
" WAO! Amazing and I thought I was the only one. It's good to hear what all of you have to say and your suggestion which I will try for next time. In regards to the dentist , I found someone else..I just hope it's not like the last one. Well everybody Take Care and stay safe. Keep your comments coming it's very interesting reading them all. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/19/08  11:48am
" i don't have a problem with the dentist or my beautician they both know me and know i have vertigo so they are very careful. if i go to a different doctor i just tell them i have vertigo and so far they have been understanding . "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web