Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Morning Spins
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Anyone ever get morning spins... when I wake up I'm spinging for about 5 min... sometimes if I lay back down I can get them to stop but for the most part I just have to deal with it and let it go. Anyone else?
Posted on 05/14/07, 04:24 pm
9 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Dizziness & Vertigo. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/14/07  6:02pm
" Yes, i get that too. it is horrible. i get nauseaus as well. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/17/07  1:53am
" Hi TTCMel
The presence of vertigo upon awakening in the morning is a common complaint with vertigo and is suggestive of peripheral vestibular disorders as the cause of Vertigo
Causes of vertigo are divided into Peripheral and Central Causes:

Peripheral causes include:
1)Acute labyrinthitis ("inner ear infection") which is inflammation of the labyrinthine organs caused by viral or bacterial infection
2) Acute vestibular neuronitis (vestibular neuritis) is usually used interchaneably with viral labyrinthitis or "inner ear infection" and is an inflammation of the vestibular nerve, usually caused by viral infection
3) Benign positional paroxysmal vertigo (benign positional vertigo) or BPPV is transient episodes of vertigo caused by stimulation of vestibular sense organs by canalith (small stones or debris in the inner ear) and affects middle-age and older patients and affects twice as many women as men

MUCH LESS COMMON:
4) Cholesteatoma which is a cyst-like lesion filled with keratin debris, most often involving the middle ear and mastoid (can be seen on otoscope exam by a doctor when they look in your ear)
5) Herpes zoster oticus (Ramsay Hunt syndrome) which is vesicular eruption affecting the ear caused by reactivation of the varicella-zoster virus
6) Mèniére’s disease (Mèniére’s syndrome) Recurrent episodes of vertigo, hearing loss, tinnitus, or ear fullness caused by increased volume of endolymph in the semicircular canals
7) Otosclerosis: Hardening or thickening of the tympanic membrane caused by age or recurrent infections of the ear

Dr O. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/30/09  12:42pm
" have had severe dizziness and nausea since I was at least two years old. It comes every one or two months for about 3 or 4 days. It gets progressively worse, then peaks and then gets better. It only happens when I wake up or sleeping and I am usually dizzy and vomiting the whole day, but the morning is worse. I can also lessen getting dizzy and vomiting by being by myself. It is worse, almost like a social anxiety disorder during these episodes. I have found that migraine medicine doesn't work but xanax helps. I have had several mri's and had my ears checked out as well. I am normal when the episodes are not present "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 09/01/09  10:24am
" Yes That has happened to me.But it I'm awakened in the wee hours of the morning, like say 2 or 3am. I get it really bad. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/11/09  11:30pm
" yes after 3 yrs without it.. it came back last monday.... It is horrible and not only that I sufdfer from anxiety and panic disorder. so after I worry and make it 300 x worse.... I am miserable "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 09/12/09  4:26pm
" I find that when I wake up that early, it is better to just stay up. Too much sleep makes it worse. Also, dreams are harder to control than real life. When I get dizzy, dreams are anoying and really get it going. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 10/30/09  1:06am
" Hello Dr. O and the rest of you - Thank you for your thoughts on the "morning spins". I have had bouts of vertigo, but this time, they are hitting mostly in the mornings, and only momentarily - when I'm still in bed. I can be laying still, and bam - there it is. I was getting worried, until I visited this post. I don't like the vertigo, but I'm not worried that there's something terribly wrong now!

I have wondered if my vertigo is associated with stress? Anyone else seem to find such a correlation "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 10/30/09  1:49pm
" heretowonder,
Going through this for awhile now,and the reasearch and millions of questions asked. YES! Stress is a major factor to everything ACK! Its hard to stay stress free in this generation.. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 10/30/09  5:54pm
" Yep, I get it in the mornings too. In fact, I think every time I have walked into the walls have been in the morning. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web