Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Coffee or Tea?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hello friends,

I have noticed that drinking coffee and diverticulitis dont go well together for me...

I'm not a huge coffee drinker, but it is important for me in the morning to get my day started :). I have now switched to Tea.
If i drank too much coffee, i would start getting pain...

Any one else have the same problem?

cheers,
Pat
Posted on 08/24/07, 10:14 am
11 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Diverticulitis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/24/07  1:55pm
" Hi,

I've had three attacks in the past 18 months and before each one I noticed that I did not want my daily Starbucks. The thought of it made me sick to my stomach. I couldn't touch it for a month after I was off the antibiotics either. It's almost like a red flag for me.
Pam "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/27/07  4:33pm
" Oh yeah, I've quit drinking coffee. It's got me bummed out too, because I LOVE coffee! No more for me, perhaps only once in a blue moon. God knows what other allergies I have. It seems so capricious what makes me feel fine one day and sick the next. But coffee I know is a no no. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/28/07  9:59am
" Gosh, I still drink at least 3 cups a day with no problem. What is it that coffee dos to you? If it did have an affect on me I guess I'd have to let it kill me and call it suicide! I can cut out a lot of stuff, but not COFFEE! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/30/07  1:47am
" I cannot drink coffee. No sooner do I get it down and strange noises come from my stomach. Then I have to run to the bathroom. I usually end up taking two Immodium gels for the pain. Totally wears me out. I become exhausted and must lay down. I have been a tea drinker all my life. I'm Scottish, I much prefer my tea. Joy "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/01/07  5:44pm
" Oh yeah !! Big time !! i still drink my 3 cups a day tho then 2 cups of Tea "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 09/01/07  5:49pm
" I wanted to ASK ? ANYONE ? experiancing Diarreha? Like perhaps every other day or 3 day's so Bad you feel like your being Prepped for a Colonoscopy? .. and that it coomes out real Watery? ...Perhaps its the meds i am on .. I dont know But This is Crap Literly today from 10:30 AM every Hr or 1/2 hr i was on the toilet up to this time i am Posting at 5:48 Pm Thats a lot of crap for one Person..i took Imodian A-D at 2PM didnt work i took Keaopectate at 5 Pm so far so good Come tuesday im calling my dr this is Crazy "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 09/05/07  6:06pm
" Have you tried Tea with ginger, that is suppose to be good for this condition I hear. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 12/25/07  11:26pm
" I have never been a coffee drinker, but I loved my Colas! I had to give that up because it ate my stomach up, maybe it's the caffeine????? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 12/26/07  12:39pm
" I have never been a coffee drinker, but I used to drink Coca-Cola constantly.

I eventually ended up with two problems caused by the caffiene.

The first was urgent and watery bowel movements. Not really diarrhea because I still only had a couple of movements a day. But when the time came, I had to find a toilet pronto and it was all liquid.

The second problem was stricture. The top of my stomach would lock up and not allow any food in. I wouldn't be aware of this until my esophagus was filled with food and I'd feel like I was choking even though I could breath fine.

The doctor said the stricture was contributed to by the caffeine and the nicotine. I switched to caffeine free Coke and the "diarrhea" cleared up immediately! Then I quit smoking. The stricture is still around, but rarely. I take a couple of weeks of Prilosec when the stricture acts up.

From my perspective, caffeine is very bad (I still eat chocolate, though. With no discernible ill effects. I assume there isn't enough in it to matter.) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 01/08/08  3:26am
" Um, I kind of need my morning coffee to "get things going" so to speak. I have my coffee and then do my business. The caffine stimulates the muscles in the bowels, according to one doctor. I have three pounds of Baby's Key West Coffee shipped to me every month. Please don't tell me that in addition to giving up martinis, I have to give up coffee? Oh, wicked and vengeful God, how did I displease you? ;) "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web