Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
When I go to the ER
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Fever, Hot Spot, and the ER

Most people when they enter and ER with an acute attack do not have a fever yet - even the ones that will eventually end up in real trouble with a high fever and high WBC.

When a fever does start and there is a feeling like someone put a hot coal in my shorts on the left side, I am entering into troubled waters for sure. If someone pushes on my hot spot when under attack, I will rise off the table 3 feet. They do so at their own risk.

At the point of fever and a hot spot, we should all run to the ER. It is hard to speak for others, but the hot spot is very different than all the mix of symptoms that people talk about here. I would think that when bacteria are burning a hole in your colon at a certain spot, a local painful hot spot is the surest warning. Not gas. Not bloating. Not diarrhea. Not constipation. Not vomiting. There sure seems to be all of those symptoms happening to others maybe at the same time as a hot spot. Not with me. The hot spot and the fever tell me to go to the ER. I do also get birth like contractions in my colon, like my colon is ready to give birth (my male imaginings of what a birth contraction are like). The colon spasms occur every 5 minutes or so. I have never had them with out an ER visit.

I think at the first indication of trouble, we should not eat. 48 hours on liquid may be enough to let the sore spot heal sometimes. If the fever develops you have already lost the battle. Run to the ER for meds. The knowledge of when to go to the ER can save your life. A Delay getting to the ER can complicate the outcome a bunch.
Posted on 09/21/08, 08:12 pm
16 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Diverticulitis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #11 - 09/24/08  9:59am
" Welcome Inablumoon,

So sorry for your troubles. Many have reported here that stress was involved in their attacks. You seem to have been hit from all sides. Your daughter's health would sicken most parents.

With acending diverticulitis, you are a very rare breed in America. Are you Asian?

Docs have no answers to questions. They do not know. You get five minutes with your Doc per attack. Our answers are no better and no worse than the Docs, just here you get 24/7 feedback - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Your Doc probably never had a DD attack. We have her beat on that level anyway. We speak from experience, and with a life or death interest in the subject.

Best wishes on your upcoming fix,

John "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #12 - 09/24/08  10:25am
" Inablumoon,

Your story is very interesting to me in that you could look the Docs in the eye and tell them their fiber theory is BS with your history of 32 grams a day of fiber.

The Docs answer to you is equally interesting to me in that there are few genetic illnessess that are 100 percent expressed with no interaction with the enviroment. Just for a joke, you might ask them if your lifelong environment might have played some small role in your developing the disease that your genes caused.

I hope the Docs remember that this disease was unknown in 1900. We must all be mutants walking around here with DD now. Not likely! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #13 - 09/24/08  2:08pm
" My entire life was pretty much "Leave it to Beaver" but experienced rare and unusual problems in my abdomen. Every female in my family which is very large, has experienced ruptured appendix. My daughter, Mother and myself all had "interesting cervixes-grew through the uterus"...My Dad remembers his Greatgrandmother laying on the couch dying of an abdomen that kept growing larger and more inflamed by the day. It took her weeks in dying. This was in 1933. Could it have been diverticulitis? My family is also in the homeopathic medical profession-many of them. Oh, I am not Asian. I know this all seems to unlikely to have happened. I also am a HepC survivor from a blood transfusion. The stress level was recent and my issues are long standing. My doctors both - GI and surgeon- sit down and talk 30-45 minutes with me at a time. They never pressured me into my decisions. It is based on my comfort level and statistical outcomes. My best friends' Mother was told she needed a resection and opted not to have the surgery. She died while having emergency surgery. It was a needless death. My surgeon and GI doc also know my diet is 32+ grams of fiber. Like I said before-I never, ever, had any bowel problem until my first attack. This is why the conclusion of a genetic component. My Dad's father was French and died when my Dad was an infant and other then his grandmother who was 72 when she had the abdominal death, we don't know anything on his side. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #14 - 09/24/08  3:45pm
" InaBluMoon Wrote:

>My best friends' Mother was told she needed a resection and opted not to have the surgery. She died while having emergency surgery. It was a needless death.

I have been told to have the surgery by everyone in the medical world. Your best friend's mother did not get to tell her story here. I need to hear those stories too.

The statistics in my case show my chances of death or severe complications are less by not having an elective colectomy, even though I am a 4 time loser. It is impossible to go out beyond 4 attacks because people either die or have the surgery after 4 attacks. It is getting lonely out here at #4.

I could die either way. I would be more upset if I died having the elective surgery than if I died during the emergency surgery caused by my own bad judgement. I struggle with my choice daily. It would be easier if I suffered more. I suffer little. Four attacks over 8 years and only the first was a hospitalization. I have little to no symptoms between attacks. My last attack was my mildest.

My Mother had Diveticulocous - never an acute attack.
My Father's Father died from peritonitis at 50 - probably DD.
Most everybody else in my family died so young from drinking and smoking, who knows my genetics? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #15 - 09/24/08  6:27pm
" 4Strikes, I can understand your resistance to surgery. My decision was based on having successful surgeries (NOT FUN!) and living with perontonitis the first 2 months of my senior year of high school. Being hospitalized in '64 with it was a whole lot different then now. I came close to not surviving and never, ever, want to go through that again.

I also have transverse colon diverticulitis. Geeze, aren't I lucky?

My attitude is pretty upbeat about most things. Everyone has stress and I was taught by my Mother a 39 yr. ovarian, breast melanoma survivor that we can either run or face things head on.....just like that annoying commercial.

It is comforting to read and address the issues of this weird condition with other's.

If my friend' Mother kept saying she didn't have anyone to talk with about the condition. She needed this group! When she finally arrived at the hospital she begged them to do the surgery. It will be forever burned into my psyche...I didn't have diverticulitis at the time.

Take care! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #16 - 09/25/08  7:44am
" Inabluemoon,

I had an attack like you, no prior symptoms, ate a lot of fiber, went to bed feeling fine, woke up four hours later in enough pain to go to ER. My pain is mostly in the upper abdomen, so gall-bladder was suspected at first. I did have a breast cancer scare two weeks before my attack, so the stress probably pushed it over the edge. It does run in my family too. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web