Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
SPICES
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I KNOW WE ARE NOT TO EAT SPICY FOOD BUT HAS ANYONE TAKEN JUST A DROP OR SO OF OUT OF A CHILI CAN FOR THE FLAVOR? DARN NEXT WEEK IS THE CHURCH'S YEARLY CHILI COOK OFF AND I DON'T THINK I CAN EAT ANY!
SANDI IN UTAH
Posted on 01/08/08, 01:48 pm
11 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Diverticulitis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/08/08  4:11pm
" I have not had any problems with spicy food at all. And I can't imagine going to a "bland" diet. No martinis AND no jalepenos? No Jalaepeno Martinis? Ouch.

You mentioned that your husband died from Diverticulitis. This scares me a bit. Can you tell me how to avoid this? Thanks, and sorry for your loss. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/09/08  2:09am
" I've never had any problems with spices either. I was never told not to eat anything spicy. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/15/08  2:36pm
" I have found that even early own in my diagnosis, my body seems to tell me what it doesn't want. Like if a salsa is too spicy (words I never thought I'd utter) I find that it just doesn't even sound appetizing. My head must be telling my body "Hey, remember the pain".
But, as for chili, I made some the other night, for friends and in place of my usual diced tomotoes (with seeds) I used canned tomato sauce, and didn't use as much of the chili powder as normal, but used instead - extra cumin powder, which gives you that good, savory chili flavor, without the added heat of the chili powder. It was good, and I only ate a little, but it cured my craving and no one else even noticed I made a change. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/15/08  3:37pm
" Boy one Dr. tells me no, now ANOTHER tells me to eat nuts, corn and chili and sausage....who do you believe small portion)Sandi
no jalapeno peppers tho!
Sandi. CORN? oh she said popcorn too..this is scarey!
Sandi "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/15/08  7:13pm
" I too have gotten a lot of conflicting advice on diet. The ER doctor told me that "supposedly" you are suppose to avoid seeds, nuts, etc. but that it's never been proven. My GP told me that it's complete hogwash, that no one food is worse than another, that I can eat whatever I want and I have people who have SUFFERED from this disease that say otherwise.

I tend to believe what comes from the horses mouth.

I have a serious weakness to salad... salad that is smothered in ginger sesame dressing (lots of sesame seeds) and sprinkled with almond slivers.. (and feta cheese, and grilled chicken and grape tomatoes, etc.!) and thankfully I've never had a recurrence *yet*. If I flare again, I'm going to cry a river, and likely cut it out of my diet. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/15/08  11:09pm
" The advice I have gotten has been pretty consistent:

1. HIGH FIBER DIET, PERIOD. This means no more meat stuffed with more meat, stuffed with cheese topped with crab meat. All the literature and the doctors seem to stress this above all else. Use metamucil supplements if necessary.

2. Avoid small nuts or seeds than can lodge in the diverticula and cause an inflammation/infection.

3. Popcorn - NO. The sharp hulls lodge in the diverticula and wreak havoc.

4. Cut down on or eliminate Alcohol. Ugh.

It does vary from person to person, of course. I have never heard advice about spicy foods, although I think when you are having an attack, this may be a bad idea.

Peanuts does it to me. Something about them causes an attack. Too bad, too, because I like them.

A salad should be good for you, provided it does not have little seeds and things.

FWIW. Your milage may vary. No warranty expressed or implied. All rights reserved. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 01/19/08  1:06pm
" Darn Robert I sure had my hopes up and went and bought some corn, popcorn and fiber bars with peanuts in them, want that stuff sooooooo bad, now too afraid to try them!
Sandi in UT. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 01/19/08  3:21pm
" Just got back from the Doctor's office. She says there are studies out there that say diet does not matter at all. Yet actual suffers say that certain foods can trigger an attack. Long story short? The Doctor says "do what works for YOU!" which I think is good advice. Diverticulosis varies from person to person. The doctor said that 20% of autopsies show people have diverticulae and yet do not suffer from the condition. So it depends on the person, I guess. Some get it, some don't, some are sensitive to certain foods (or believe themselves to be) and some are not. Your milage may vary, no warranty expressed or implied, all rights reserved. Good Luck. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 01/19/08  11:55pm
" Did someone actually get some advice from a doctor on diet? Wow! The only thing they have agreed on for me is eating those yummy flagyl and levaquin candies. From my experiences, unfortunately the doctors seem to know little or have no time to discuss the importance or unimportance of diet. All of us here know that there is a connection-right? My initial bout of diverticulitis started after eating a whole friggin' plate of pumpkin seeds in two days. (Shells and all) I am completely positive that was the reason I had a flare up. That, extreme stress, lack of fiber, proper hydration and who knows? Some doctors I have spoken to completely discount the nuts/seeds relationship. I believe, and have proven to myself that some nuts and seeds are in fact edible to us sufferers. The key to eating anything in this category is: high fiber intake daily, major intake of water, and chewing your food rather well. Very important!! Think about what you are doing when you eat, don't just cram food in your mouth, take a couple bites and swallow!! Get some good books on the digestive system and read them, you can heal yourself if you work really hard at it. (really hard, but worth it) I suggest Russel Marianis' book, which was recommended by havasudeb (thanks!) I was having some probs several weeks ago and am happy to report that I did not pick up the antibiotics that were prescribed over the phone by my g i doc, and I'm doing well now thanks to being very active in my own healing. This stuff is big business, and if we could all heal ourselves, just where would our medical system be? Inform yourselves, listen to each other's stories and be active in your own recovery-really who else cares or can understand just how a diverticulitis sufferer feels? Stay strong folks!!! Robert, no more jalepeno martinis? You could most likely still have one, but chase it with a gallon of water and metamucil! JK. Good luck to all! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 01/20/08  10:12am
" "The key to eating anything in this category is: high fiber intake daily, major intake of water, and chewing your food rather well. Very important!!"

Sound advice! I try to follow it, now.

Actually, I have had TWO doctors stress diet over drugs. My previous doctor in Virginia suggested a book called "Eat More Weigh Less" by Dr. Dean Ornish.

But I agree with you, there are a lot of doctors out there who think everything can be handled with a pill.

I am nervous about over-using anti-biotics myself, so I only use them in an emergency (and keep a filled prescription series in case I am travelling).

I think it varies from person to person, so there is no one dietary guideline that applies to everyone. I just know that for the pain involved, popcorn and nuts are not for me.

FWIW! "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web