Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Starting the Process towards Surgery
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi All,

Tomorrow I see my Gastro to discuss my colonoscopy and then surgery to remove my sigmoid colon. I hope to do this by the end of January,

Any thoughts, suggestions or anything from anyone who has had the surgery?

I have a bout in Sept that put me in the hospital for two weeks. Narrowly escaped surgery. I've had issues ever since. So this must come out. I grues I'm starting to worry!!

Thanks
Posted on 12/03/13, 04:59 pm
9 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Diverticulitis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 12/05/13  9:41am
" From my own experience, it is much better to go into the surgery when the infection is under control. From my first surgery (to drain a colon abscess) to the 2nd surgery (to remove the sigmoid section-resection), I had 8 weeks of heavy duty antibiodics. The surgeon told lme if I had the resection at the peak of infection I would have ended up with a permanent bag. The way it was, I never had a bag as she could make a direct connection. I was blessed.

The other thing she discussed in depth with me prior to the resection was pain management (I have many allergies, including morphine and demerol). She recommended a spinal block which was a life saver for me. I had it in for the first 5 days after surgery and can say I had zero pain. I went home from the hospital on the 7th day alternating tylenol and ibuprofen.

Another recommendation would be to ask alot of questions, and take notes!!

It has been 16 months since my surgery and I have no regrets (and better yet, no dietary restrictions). I have even eaten corn on the cob without problems!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 12/06/13  12:05pm
" Thank you so much for your reply! I did see the Gastro - no colonoscopy - too risky. So just surgery. I am actually looking forward to the benefits of surgery. I am currently on Flagyl and Levoquin and feel like crap. I'm hoping to never take them again.

Does everyone need antibiotics after surgery?? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/06/13  9:12pm
" I have not been on antibiodics once since my resection surgery...and if I every had to take Flagyl or Levoquin again it is will too soon! Thankful just to feel good and back to my "old" self!

Happy holidays to you, and may the healthier days be just around the corner! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/13/14  6:14pm
" After the surgery you may still have to watch what you eat. I had my surgery in 2007 and there are still some foods that bother me. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/15/14  2:29pm
" Thanks. Looking like early Feb. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/16/14  7:28pm
" Good luck and keep us posted. This place was a life saver for me and kept me sane during my ordeal. Reach Out anytime you feel the need. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/25/14  1:04pm
" If your diverticulosis is in one section, surgery is a great idea. I have had two partial colectomies. I burst the first time at 24 and had 6 inches taken out. A year and a half ago I had a total of half of my intestine taken out. I am now in the process of having a total colectomy (no bag, no pouch) and a hysterectomy. I felt great after my second surgery. Unfortunately, I have diverticulosis throughout my entire colon. My last attack was on the right side which is rare. So out it must go.
My best advise is to walk, walk, walk! As soon as you can!
I also went to see a dietician to try and see what foods are triggers. This might be an option for you. But as far as not eating corn, nuts, and such that has been found not be a problem.
Just know that even though they take out your problem intestine, you can develop more diverticulosis in the other "healthy" intestine. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 02/25/14  1:28pm
" Hi All,

I'm two weeks out of surgery and all went very well. Had not only the first 7 or so of the sigmiod cut out but also some small intestines and ascending colon as there was a fistula.

So far, so good. I have healed very well on the outside and the inside feels pretty good. I was in the hospital for a total of 4 nights. Been house-bound for 1.5 weeks. I see my dr. today and hope to get the green light to drive. I even started back to work (from home) a week after surgery. I didn't do much but I think it was good mentally.

I do know that I need to remain on a high fiber diet (will most likely be told to start to ramp up from the low residue, post surgery diet today). I'm all for it. Although all seems to have went very well for me, I don't want to have to go through any more of this.

And I did walk as much as possible in the hospital. Easier said than done. And I walked a lot at home (around the house from room to room) but now I know that being able to just get out and resume life will help to build my stamina back up. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 02/25/14  3:20pm
" When you talk to your doc see about physical therapy. Then find a place that does manual therapy. They help break up the adhesions while you are healing. I did that the second time I had surgery and it made a difference. Also, just having them help me build up my abdominal muscle strength was nice. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web