Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Cipro/Flagyl with Probiotics
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Is it okay to take the cipro and flagyl while taking probiotics? Or should we got off the probiotics while taking it?
Posted on 03/22/11, 09:34 am
5 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Diverticulitis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/22/11  3:40pm
" I don't know, but I just took my first capsule of Align this morning along with my Krill. I take the flagyl as well..don't think it works as well as the Cipro, but will see a gastrologist next week.. Wish I could help you more. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/22/11  4:11pm
" Both my GI Doc & my Internist Strongly Suggested getting on & Staying on a Good Quality Probiotic, and Upping my Intake While on the meds. but ALWAYS ask either your Dr. or Pharmacist..

Understand that While taking an Antibiotic it is Literally like Dropping the A-Bomb into your guts, as these Meds Kill Everything off..leaving you highly Vulnerable to Inflammations (Gastritis) A Yeast over growth..Acid Reflux..Just a general Crapped out Feeling..these meds can Also Strip away at your Electrolyte balance if you get Diarrhea while taking them, as Most People do..so a Good Electrolyte Drink (I use Powerade with Advanced electrolytes) while on the meds.

They are Working on new Treatments, and finding hope with Transplantation of Good/Healthy bacterias/Microbials into Sick people..as there Will come a time when meds are ineffective..but who knows how long before this type treatment becomes available to the general public..I just read an Article about a woman's life who was saved, in a last ditch effort as she was dying of an Inflamed Colon (Severe Case of C-Diff), they Transplanted good bacteria, and her life was not Only Saved, she healed within a matter of DAYS..the Article was in the March edition of a Discover Magazine..C-Diff is becoming more wide Spread as the Antibiotics have had to become stronger.

I Just have No ideas Exactly What the right answers are..I am Still in Search of myself cuz Even tho I went ahead with the Surgery, I Understand this CAN come back, and I do not wish to ever go thru this again.. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/22/11  4:15pm
" Tori, I too am on Align..So far so Good, but it takes a couple of Weeks to actually notice, and you may Feel a bit worse at first..my Pharmacist said this is Expected with ANY probiotic..

I also do Yogurt.. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/22/11  11:34pm
" Agreed, I was getting diahrreah with the cipro and flagyl and my pharmacist suggested having a yogurt cup 2 hrs after taking my meds. At first it caused a lot of cramping...so he said cut it back to just once a day (I am on antibiotics 2x per day). He said when the attack happened all the flora was taken out of the gut. This whole thing is a nightmare. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/23/11  7:20pm
" Dakota! Lots of great information there! Thank you! I will print this for my mother and take it to her. So much to learn, but with a great support team like on DS - we will all prevail. You also pointed out what she's been feeling which was the fatigue, just "crapped out". :)

ourangel, Mom was eating the greek yogurt as well about two hours out from taking the meds. Overall, this round of meds was wearing her out. We have truly done better with natural supplements. I don't believe natural supplements work right away for all conditions, but they sure do for GI issues where all the nutrition in our bodies is absorb. Makes sense to me.

Thanks again for responding. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web