what do I eat after clear liquid diet?
Just out of hospital friday. Had been to the hospital 9 days before for pain and constipation. At that time they saw some diverticulosis which I knew about from a colonoscopy 2 years ago. X rays confrimed a lot of stool in the intestine both ER visits. Since no relief came from meds they decided to do an ennema. I'd never had one before. They ended up doing 3 ennema's because I was only passing very loose stool. Iwas passing out and my blood pressure was dropping, I was cold and shaking out of control. They did a scan with radio active die and concluded I had diverticulitis. They sent me home with a few antibiotics and a clear liquid diet to follow.

So now I'v e been reading your posts and see about a soft diet after the liquid diet. What is that? Should I follow that? I'm unsure and so worried about the cramping and constipation returning. Oh ya I still have only loose stool. Feel like I need to go and can't.

HELP!
Posted on 01/16/10, 03:39 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Diverticulitis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 01/17/10  5:54am
" please follow that diet, I have been out of the hospital for 5 days, i was hungry and dumb now i might have to go back severe cramping and constpated, sick feeling also. i was stupid and did not follow instructions, i felt invincible (I am not even close). this is not something to take lightly as i have found out. be vigulent in your research and good luck and god bless you. hope you find all your answers "
Reply #2 - 01/17/10  10:40am
" Follow their instructions...I made the mistake 2 times of thinking I could eat regular foods...YIKES !! drink some Ensure to be sure you are getting your Nutrients...I STILL mostly eat Soft foods...Soups, Mashed Potatoes..things like that..it has been almost 2 months, and I am feeling so very much better...but I Know how fast it can all go down hill..

Give it time...allow ur Digestive tract to heal..In Upped my water intake from 70 ounces per day to a full 100 ounces...keeping everything flushed..

you are having diarrhea ?? make SURE to drink some Gatorade, or Smart water...OR you can make ur own by Mixing a tablespoon of salt in a 1/2 gallon Jug of apple Juice...shake it well...Make SURE to get those Electrolytes replaced !! Important stuff !!

I Hope everything good for you...I am here quite a bit...you can PM me if you want, I am usually on the FM {Fibromyalgia Board}...there seems to be ALOT of things that Dr.s just do Not tell you...so I came here, and the Confusion started to lift...Thank God !! "
Reply #3 - 01/17/10  10:48am
" Thanks everyone. I was given no instructions other than add solid foods back into my diet after 2 days and then add matamucil slowly to my diet. I hope the gastrointerologist can help me. Is there really any hope?? "
Reply #4 - 01/17/10  4:11pm
" It IS Scary...very scary Stuff indeed...But...of Course there is Hope..

At First...prolly a Good 2 weeks, I felt Kinda Weird, Weak, Sick Feeling...Terrified to Add ANYTHING to my diet..

I was eating Low residue {easy to digest} Foods Only...then I learned about the Electrolyte thing...No Dr. told me, another person who has this Told me...Pay Attention to That aspect !!

I have not as of yet added much Fiber...cuz for whatever REASON whenever I do I get sick to my stomach..

While you are on Antibiotics TRY real hard to back WAY Off ALL Sugars, including Natural...I mean ya need Some...just not alot...if ur a Sugar Junkie like I was ...Sigh...you may very well get a yeast Overgrowth...that was FUN...and it grows in alot more areas then I Ever knew about !!

this is what I DO NOT Eat..Anything With:

A Peel
Nuts
Seeds
anything Acidic
Anything Spicy..
No PoP.

I make sure to get my Carrot Juice in everyday...this helps all Soft Tissues to Heal...Good Stuff..a Good Probiotic...get that @ your Lo0cal Healthfood Store..

Drink Ensure everyday to be sure you are getting your Nutrients if you are not eating good.

I have added some meats..I add Garlic to it, and a bit of salt...otherwise spices Scare me at this point..have lit on Fire 2 times...No TY !!

I have Stopped eating Lettuce, and I Love all salads..but a few Long time Sufferers have explained to me WHY to stay away from leafy veggies...so yea...I do.

No Peppers....that was SO hard to give up..I Love all peppers...and so healthy for ya...I wonder if I can Juice them ?? Hmmm

I do NOT want Surgery...I have Completely Revamped my Entire diet..I Make sure to keep well Hydrated...which I am guilty of Not paying enough attention to..I No Longer eat out...cuz I never know what they may be putting in their Food, and if I am gonna eat boring then I wanna know whats in it !!

My IBS is Gone...as are any Twinges, Flare Ups..I WILL Stay Faithful to my Guts !! "
Reply #5 - 01/24/10  2:28pm
" I'm really glad to hear about the support. I've been newly diagnosed (as of the 15th of last month), and I've never been soo concerned about going to the bathroom. I had the abdominal pain that I dismissed for gas pain, and as the days went by and the pain increased, I decided to have my husband take me to the hospital. I was told very bluntly that I have holes in my colon and that I would need to be admitted. I was informed that I may not need surgery, but one was there on standby (just in case). I stayed there for 5 days, received only antibiotics, then on the 4th day got to get clear liquids, then I was able to leave the following day. The doctor told me.."this is a disease that you're going to have for the rest of your life" and my heart started beating I was soo scared.. All he told me was that I needed to stay away from (seeds)?? Currently I have no food restrictions (as per my doctor), but I'm soo scared that I'm still using the SOFT (LOW FIBER) diet menus that I used when I was admitted,and I make sure to drink lots of water. I was soo frantic yeterday cause I really didn't have a great (movement) but I guess that will forever be my concern.

If anyone could elaborate more on the seeds (as I only know of popcorn) that would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance! "
Reply #6 - 01/24/10  2:52pm
" My Gastro Dr. told me to stay on low residue diet for 4 weeks, to allow healing. I need to have a colonoscopy in 3 weeks. Get more answers then. Until then I eat the diet I'm told to follow. I also use the bathroom about every 2-3 hours and suffer stomach cramps most times.

I don't know anything about the sugar thing people are discussing.

Good luck. Hope your health improves. "