Moderately Severe Diverticulosis
I have had small bouts of diverticulitis since 2000...2 to 3 a year. Blood started accompanying the attacks in 2005, but none have been so severe that I've been hospitalized. The last attack, and worst, lasted 6-8 weeks. It took 8 different antibiotics to kill the infection. Yesterday, I had my 3rd colonoscopy since 2005. Results showed moderately severe diverticulosis. In the previous scans, only mild diverticulosis was revealed. When to it come a point when you say enough is enough and have surgery? BTW, my brother died in 1991 from gastrointestional hemorrage.
Posted on 08/04/09, 02:22 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Diverticulitis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 08/04/09  8:50pm
" Well, I have had 2 attacks of diverticulitis. But I am only 24 yrs old. After my first attack w/ micro perforation they recommended surgery. But I did not have Insurance, and after the first attack (which I ended up in the hospital for a week on antibiotics and no food) I owed $24,000. So when I got the second one about a year later, I had insurance and I got back on track with all the appointment for surgery. I am seeing the Surgeon on the 10th of this month, But I am to the point where I just want to feel better, nothing is worse than constant stomache pain, and all the other fun stuff that goes with it. If you wait for an emergency attack and perforate then you will have a much larger scar, and will be on a bag for weeks. "
Reply #2 - 08/07/09  3:31pm
" I got the information I needed yesterday. Although I don't see the surgeon until Monday, my primary care physician says that having the diverticulosis specifically state "moderately severe" is unusual unless surgery is going to be necessary at some point. In my case, I only have a few diverticuli concentrated in one spot, but each are so big that they did not completely empty with the "clean out" before the colonoscopy. I do believe surgery is on the near horizon. "
Reply #3 - 08/08/09  11:58am
" If and when you are not under "attack" I think you both should try John's recommendation if you can get Asacol (Lialda, Mesalamine). Surgery is no picnic. "
Reply #4 - 08/08/09  5:54pm
" I had a gastrointestional hemorrage. which lead to septicemia, by the time I made the Hospital I was 4 to 8 hours from death so the doc's told me, arr but it gets better I'm in China teaching.

Scarrys as hell, now I have a 2ed A-hole in my side and poo into a bag. But the docs saved my life and to top it all off the cost was

$3000 for every thing, the surgery the health care the lot.

Im realy thinking of setting up a buz just shipping out guys like Cpistole and others who not the cost in the US is way to high to have the op here.

Well im getting better and going to have the reversal operation as soon as i get the all clear. "
Reply #5 - 05/03/10  9:48am
" I have just found out that there is a possibility that anal bleeding can be diverticulosis. I need to know more about this condition and I want to know also the cures and treatments. Any info will be highly appreciated. "
Reply #6 - 05/04/10  9:30am
" How long do you need to wait for the surgery? I still didn't received results from my doctor. I am experiencing anal bleeding almost every day. Still I am copping but don't think I will be able to for long time. "