Can exercise be harmful?
Hi all. Well I went on my trip. I completed my flagyl/omicef combo and felt better. But 2 days after being off meds I was exercising and when I did weights-leg press felt that burning pain in the lowere left again. SO I stopped. That whole night felt pain burning on/off. Can doing weight exercises be harmful? Do I need to avoid anything that puts pressure on the area? Can doing squats and leg presses increaes the inflammation?
Posted on 07/25/09, 12:25 am
Reminder: This is a support group for Diverticulitis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 07/26/09  8:24am
" I wondered about that myself. I would say for you, there seems to be a connection. I would say make sure you exercise on an empty colon. If the colon is full it must be under higher stress. "
Reply #2 - 07/27/09  1:59pm
" Taking long walks even flares mine. I used to walk 3-5 miles a day. I can't walk a quarter of a mile without problems now. "
Reply #3 - 08/01/09  1:27pm
" I have the same question. Years ago, each time I used my home exercycle, after a few days, I would get a pain on my left side across from my belly button. Since I was having kidney stone problems and knew I had some small stones in my left kidney, I felt I was aggravating the kidney situation.

After eliminating the stones and subsequently discovering that I had diverticulosis, I concluded that might be the problem. I started going to the gym and using the cross trainer instead. Same thing happened. So, I stopped that. Now, I just went back to the gym and am using the treadmill for a half hour, plus a half hour on weight machines, including an abdominal crunch machine. Well, once again I am back with diverticulitis. So, I too am wondering if my goal of being fit is causing my diverticulars to act up. I sure hope not. "
Reply #4 - 09/22/09  12:04pm
" I was hospitalized the end of July and had surgery. I followed up with a specialist the end of August. I asked if I could go back to the gym and he said no, not until at least the first of October. I had an abscess (not sure if that is considered a perforation or not) and they went in and cleaned that up and removed some adhesions. The doctor said a lot of strenuous exercise could irritate the healing of the adhesions and that I needed to give my body time to heal. I am crossing my fingers that when I go back I will be able to continue. I'll keep you posted.
Donna "
Reply #5 - 10/07/09  12:34am
" I had 4 episodes of exercise induced divi attacks in my 10 year history of attacks. Twice the day after doing ab work with a personal trainer. Once this year after a tennis game and hiking up a mountain and then the day after dancing. My father had to have emergency surgery for divi after an intense soccer game.

So yes, I do believe that exercise can contribute. Of course, I excersied many other times in those 10 years without attacks. "
Reply #6 - 10/07/09  1:40pm
" My first attack (2 weeks ago) started a couple days after a very strenuous ab challenge workout. I've been wondering if it somehow made the diverticula angry. "
Reply #7 - 03/29/10  11:22am
" I am so glad im not alone!! everytime i try to do core training exercise i get a diverticulitis attack!! at my age i need to have core training, i dont know what to do anymore, i dont understand why doctors know so little about diverticulits, all they what to do is surgery,! we have the answer if only they would ask , together we can come up with a plan. "
Reply #8 - 05/08/10  11:24am
" Thank you for this info! I was nearing the end of my two-week course of flagyl and levaquin and feeling better, so I wanted to start exercising again. I went to a pilates class (which is something i regularly do) and played some tennis the next day, and BOOM, midway through the first set the pain and nausea came back BIG TIME. So now I'm taking amoxycillin-clavulante to try to get rid of the symptoms, again, but I was wondering if there was any connection to the exercise. Bummer! I play a lot of tennis, so this is not good news. "