Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Leg cramps
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I get these awful leg cramps being on hemodialysis. My nephologist won't let me take Quinine since it's a mantory drug than can cause death. I even wake up at night at times with these awful foot leg cramps. I been trying out some vitimine E but I don't know if that working either. I can't take mortrin or Asprin since it's consitered a blood thinner. I haven't had much sucess with vocodin either. Does anybody else have this problem and has there been anything that
has help treating it?
Posted on 07/25/07, 09:09 pm
19 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Dialysis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 07/26/07  8:38am
" I don't know if this helps but my dad also gets these cramps in his leg with his dialysis and they figured that he was getting dilysis to fast and extended him for another 15 minutes and that seemed to help him tremendously. Alos there is a new medicine called equip wich may not be an option for you but it may be worth a try. take care and wish you the best. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 07/26/07  8:39am
" the medicine is called requip sorry about the typing errors very tired here. LOL "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/18/07  2:18am
" I know this was posted a long time ago, but if anyone reads it now, maybe it will help.
My husband gets the leg cramps extremely bad and the cause is from the dialysis taking the excess fluid off too quickly. We found that the cramps are worse on the days that he indulged too much on drinks. What has helped to reduce the cramping is for him to chew on ice chips rather than drink too much fluid. When he goes to dialysis with less fluid, they don't have to take off too much too quickly. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/18/07  8:49am
" Maybe some of what your saying is true. But, how can you handle 32oz when your taking 35-40 pills a day? I feel like I constanly have a dry mouth all the time. I feel like I can use all my fluid just taken most of those pills. I have tried ice chips, differnt kinds of candy, and popsicles all that still doesn't satisfy my thirst. I stay away from alot of those high in soduim fast food places too. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 08/20/07  10:50am
" how about trying a sour candy. The ones that make your mouth water. My dad uses tic tacs a lot just a suggestion. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 08/20/07  2:34pm
" I HAVE BEEN ON HEMO DIALYSIS FOR 14 YEARS, AND I HAVE FOUND THAT QUININE IS NO HELP AT ALL. AND THE "CRAMP SHOT" THEY GIVE YOU AT DIALYSIS IS A JOKE. WHEN I GET REAL BAD CRAMPS AT DIALYSIS,OR AT HOME I TAKE 2 TYLENOLPM'S. THE MEDICINE THEY ADD TO HELP YOU SLEEP,HELPS RELAX THE MUSCLES. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 05/22/10  1:08am
" I know this is a very old discussion, but have you ever tried drinking a little pickle juice for leg cramps. I know it sounds crazy, but it works for me. I don't know why it works, I have asked a doctor and at 2 health food stores. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 05/25/10  6:18pm
" if he can switch to a chair and keep feet on ground. I can stop cramps this way. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 07/11/10  11:18am
" I take Mirapex its for Restless Leg Syndrome and my Nephologist is fine with me taking that...Restless Leg Syndrome is bad leg cramps at night...They work for me maybe it can help your leg cramps might b worth finding out..I am sorry you have that happen i havent had that happen from Dialysis but I get lightheaded. Good Luck.. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 07/22/10  6:11pm
" I know this post is old, but I just joined and thought I'd add that pickle juice really does work. I have been on hemodialysis for 7 years and this remedy is miraculous! It also works very fast. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web