Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Cymbalta causes diabetes??
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Does anyone out there have the experience of taking Cymbalta for 18 months (or till you couldn't stand it any longer), and then having your blood sugars gradually increase while on it? Mine did.
I would not recommend Cymbalta for anyone.
Posted on 09/06/08, 08:13 pm
30 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Diabetes Type 2. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/07/08  7:49pm
" For some reason, a lot of the latest psych meds coming out can give you diabetes. Zyprexa is the worst offender, but most of the mood stabilizers and anti-psychotics can do it. (They say it's because they make you fat, but a lot of them don't, so now what?) The whole SSRI family (Prozac, Zoloft, Luvox, and their ilk) can fcrew up your blood sugar too. I had been on Prozac for 3 years whejn I found out that I, a slender 30-year-old, had Type 2. I have been off Prozac a long time but my unfriendly visitor is still there. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/12/08  10:30am
" This makes a lot of sense to me! I was taking paxil when diagnosed, and then Cymbalta. I have been off cymbalta(I hate that drug) for a few months now and recently my BG has gone down more to normal levels! I will have to bring this up to my Endo on the 25th! Thanks for posting! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/12/08  2:36pm
" I believe some of the meds I have taken are what caused my diabetes, No one on my mommas or daddys side of the family has ever had diabetes. (Risperdal, Abilify, Geodon, Paxil, Zoloft, Luvox, just to name a few) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 09/12/08  7:47pm
" I am totally against this current-day practice of throwing pills at people for their emotional problems. It only serves to make people more dependent on MDs and reinforces their belief that they cannot tolerate any emotional discomfort. It tells them in no uncertain terms that they cannot learn to manage their own thoughts and moods. ALL OF THAT IS UNTRUE. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 10/13/09  9:57pm
" I thought I was alone with this issue! I had taken Cymbalta for over 2 years with other miserable side affects. Then, just as I stop taking it, my doctor tells me I have type 2 diabetes. (9.4 A1C test) .
Doc put me on Metformin for the diabetes, after 3 months, I had a 6.4 A1C test. (Normal range.) No one in my family on either Mom or Dad's side had diabetes. Tell me it wasn't the Cymbalta?

Cliffenstein, I hope your sugar went down to normal, and Lovies54106, I'm glad yours did. I'm just hoping mine will.
If ANYONE has had this happen, please post it so I know there is some hope I can stop the Metformin one day.
Thanks "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 10/13/09  11:49pm
" This is very interesting.

Although I have to argue that not ALL people have "pills thrown at them" because they cannot handle their emotional problems. Mental illness is just as real as any other disease.

Cliff that was rather unsensitive. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 10/15/09  11:44am
" Cliff--can you manage and control your dreams? Mental illness is like that-uncontrollable without help, be it therapy or medication, or with personal effort to some degree. Some meds do help.
Gizmo333-my A1C is finally back down to 6.2-yes you can recover from Cymbalta! I'm going to ease off the Metformin and see what happens.... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 10/17/09  1:11am
" I dint think cymbalta had anything to do w/t2d in any way. I take Lyrica which warns of possible weight gain,so l only take it 1x/day it's prescribed 3x I researched cymbalta while writing this & it claims a study had minimal/no effect on diabetes ( type was not mentioned) l take no drugs for t2d & believe i'm 'pre-diabetic) I hope Lovies will tell us what her Endo has to say. l cant help but wonder if meds for t2d in combo w/cymbalta. I can say that cymbalta ceased to help my perifial neurapathy, but dr said keep taking it & it IS a helpful sleep aid & no dr wants to give sleeping pills
God Bless "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 10/24/09  1:31pm
" I take cymbalta "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 10/25/09  5:49pm
" Hey y'all I am new here so here goes.

I have been taking Cymbalta for close to two years. It helps with my depression but I mostly take i for my neuropathy. I am on insulin, metformin, hydrocodone, ultram, and the fentynal patch for diabetes and pain. I think that Cymbalta does help both problems. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web