Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Gastric bypass for diabetes?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Has anyone had the Gastric bypass to "cure" thier diabetes?
Posted on 06/02/08, 02:46 pm
19 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Diabetes Type 2. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 06/03/08  2:48pm
" my wife had a gastric bypass 2 years ago, and her diabetes went into remission I guess you'd call it. she does not have to take metformin anymore, and she had alot of other health problems that are gone now. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 06/21/08  12:44am
" Thank you for your reply. I have read that about 85% are "cured" from diabetes. That was the final decission for me to have the surgery. I am in the process now. And I hope and pray Im not one of the 15% that it does not work for. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 06/21/08  10:50pm
" Good luck with your surgery and keep us informed on how you are coming along...
I myself am thinking about the Lab Band Surgery but I'm dealing with some health issues that need to be address first..

Best Wishes! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/01/08  7:15pm
" I am having the GBS on 8/5/08, only 4 days away. Hope this will be a "cure" for my diabetes. I am so looking forward to all the advantages that will come with the wieght lose. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 08/01/08  11:17pm
" good luck with your surgery, my wife was taken off metformin the day before surgery n has not had any problems with diabetes, or most of her health issues , "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 08/02/08  8:05am
" Hey Roxanne! Congratulations on your decision to have the surgery! I am sure this was not an easy decision to make. Losing weight definitely can "cure" diabetes (type 2 that is) ..and that is why they say that Gastric Bypass does cure diabetes since so many people lose weight from it. I completely understand how hard it can be to lose weight on your own. This is something I have struggled with my whole life. I have accomplished many things in life, but weight loss and overcoming diabetes has been, by far, the hardest thing I have ever encountered.

Anyway, good for you! And I wish you all the best! Keep us posted on your progress!!! :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 08/04/08  6:51am
" Good luck and pray there are no complications! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 08/11/08  10:04am
" UPDATE:
Home from hospital yesterday. Lots of pain but otherwise things are going good. Have retained alot of fluids but these should subside soon. Blood sugars have been in the normal range.
Will keep my journal updated as time goes on. Thank you for your support. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 08/11/08  10:10pm
" Great to hear! I am very happy for you! Keep us posted. Would love to hear your periodic results... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 09/11/10  6:42pm
" yes i have and after my surgery i was off all meds in a week

howard "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web