Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
do i really have diabetes?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Been off metformin for 3 days...for my daughter's birthday we had chinese food and sundaes. I had small portions and no rice or lo mein bt post meal was 130. Then after ice cream with hot fudge m&ms and whipped cream it was 109. Maybe diet and excrsize is enough?
Posted on 02/23/12, 09:00 pm
9 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Diabetes Type 2. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/23/12  9:17pm
" Kathy, that is GREAT! There are those who control with diet and exercise and I really hope that you are one of those. Although I fear that it means that we won't see you too much here. Let us all know what the doctors decide but also remember that you have become very special to a bunch of us, myself included!

hugs,

lary "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/24/12  6:28am
" That is truly wonderful news Kathy! I understand that there are people who can control their diabetes with diet and exercise alone, and I pray that you are one of those! Please keep us informed; it gives us all reason for hope. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/24/12  8:16am
" diet and exercise can control diabetes for a long time with many people before it can progress..keep up the good work. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/24/12  11:57am
" we will find out I guess. I don't plan on making any changes in diet...still count carbs, helps with weight loss anyway. she may start me on a new one...who knows. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 02/24/12  12:18pm
" Kathy - wonderful news! I really hope that it keeps going for you. It's all our goal, isn't it?
I am only on diet and exercise now, but I still have those days where my numbers spike. The other day I had to work a lunch meeting where there was NOTHING that I could eat except a hamburger. I did, w/the bun but nothing else on it. BS spiked to 180! Haven't seen that since I was first diagnosed. Fortunately it calmed down about 3-4 hrs. later, but it made me realize that, for me, the low carb diet is here to stay... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 02/24/12  12:44pm
" Hi ya, kae03:

Do you mind if I ask how you have done in terms of weight loss? Have you had a significant loss since you started your diet and exercise program? And how far are you away from your ideal weight?

(Sorry if these are too personal. Just I think it will help myself and others here.)

Thanks in advance. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/24/12  1:06pm
" no problem answering it at all. I have lost 12 lbs since Jan 3...I am still about 45 lbs away from my goal weight.
I work out 4 times a week...circuit training and often weights 2x and cardio and weights 2x... muscle burns sugar... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 02/24/12  1:15pm
" Wow! You are an exercise beast!!! Congrats on the workout program and keep up the good work. You should be REALLY proud of yourself for working out like that.

Of course, I am not a doctor, but when you do hit your ideal weight, I would imagine that in general, your health is going to be like night and day compared to your old self. Being 57 pounds away from your ideal weight (where you started from on Jan 3) must have really been a burden on your health.

My doctor has told me that some people control it with only diet and exercise, so maybe you will be one of those people.

Keep at it, and hopefully your doctor will give you the go ahead to get off the metformin (which I know you suspected you MIGHT be having problems with anyway).

Keep at it!!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 02/24/12  1:29pm
" AmDK, blame the bun for the spike...
IMO, the hamburger itself is OK, but only part of the balanced diet.
Kahy, do post here with your diet and exercise experiences....there is so much in this area that will help me and others..
Now its time to plant the garden (spinach and beans), this is very hard work.. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web