Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Maltodextrin
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
The last few days my sugar has been spiking up in the 200's. I could not figure out what it was. Then I started relating the spikes of 200 and over after I drank Lipton Instant Diet Lemon Tea. I had just bought the tea. I drank it hot and it said 1 tablespoon is a serving. I used to teaspoons. So I cut the serving down by 1/3. Which to me was plenty strong. One of the First 2 ingredients is Maltodextrin; which I goodled and found out it is a form of sugar. The other sweetner down the list of ingredients is aspartame. So I took my blood sugar which was 105 and then drank The lipton diet lemon tea and within 5 to ten minutes i could feel my blood sugar spiking. I took my blood sugar within 15 minutes of drinking the tea and sure enough it spike to 236.
So for me anything with this form of sugar I will not buy. It is also in granulated Splenda, I read on a jar of instant unsweetened tea and the Maltodextrin was the first Ingredient; but it is called unsweetened.
I Gooled and read the companies use the Maltodextrin to make the products fluffy with the crystals. The companies were Splenda, Tea and other products. My instant coffe (flogers) reads 100% pure Coffee.
How do they get by with this?
Just letting you know there is a lot of hidden sugar (with different names)in a lot of products (that are suppose to be unsweetened)
So if you are having blood sugar spikes if could be contributed to these diffent sugars that are not name as sugar on the product.
Hope helps you.
Posted on 02/11/11, 05:23 pm
6 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Diabetes Type 2. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/11/11  9:35pm
" Maltodextrin is a form of sugar boiled down to eliminate the starch and aspertame is one of the artificial sweeteners so I cant understand how these raised your bs. Did you eat anything with the tea ? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/11/11  11:44pm
" No I was using it in the afternoon and at night for something warm.
I have what I call real tea now in the bags and using stevia for the sweetner which seems to work. Thank you for the info arline "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/11/11  11:51pm
" Sorry arline no i did not eat with the tea.
Hot tea is comforting to me and I do not eat with it. I will just use the bags and forget instant. I do not why I though it was easier. I have to heat the water reguardless of which one I used. The Lemon flavored Diet teas has a good flavor. Thanks for asking "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/12/11  12:55pm
" You have to remember to look at the carb count of everything you put in your mouth, unfortunately, "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 11/02/12  3:34pm
" I need some help please .....I went to the Health Food Store to get Stivia as I asked the girl there about sugars for diabetics...I told her that I was buying sucralose for my form of sweetener. She replied that if there's aspertame in it that is not healthy at all! It's deadly....
So I wasn't sure if what i bought has aspertame in it so i read on the bag i bought today and it has maltodextrin as the first ingredient....

Can someone help me...is this okay to buy???? as the box of Stevia is okay for coffees, teas, and little stuff but when I want to cook that's my problem....

I hope that the sucrolose is okay as i will only use it for cooking recipes...

What do you think? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 11/02/12  4:05pm
" a lot of use use splenda without any issues...

you can use regular sugars , just keep track of carbs.. I bake cookies, cakes etc and they have regular sugars but I do 1/2 portion and figure the carbs from that. I do drink coke zero since of course regular coke has about 60 carbs....carbs are what you want to watch "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web