Sugar level 486 - Husband
We just checked his blood level with my sister in laws monitor because he wasnt feeling right, and he level is 486. Does anyone know if we should be heading to the hospital or just setting up a appointment ASAP on Monday? If anyone could let me know, it'd be very helpful. He's worried and starting to panic abit. Thanks
Posted on 06/15/07, 11:48 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Diabetes Type 2. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 06/16/07  2:28am
" Yes....you should be heading to the hospital! He needs to get it down to normal again! Also, set up an appointment on Monday. Please keep in touch to let us know how your husband is doing. "
Reply #2 - 06/16/07  10:11am
" What have his readings been recently? Mine were in the 400-600 range for months.. If his are high all of the sudden then he definately needs to be going to the hospital. If they are high because he isn't doing what he is suppose to be doing then maybe not only a Dr. appointment is needed but also counseling. I wouldn't suggest being that high for long it can cause serious problems. "
Reply #3 - 06/16/07  11:56am
" Yes, the hospital, definitely, and an appointment, too! I wish you well! "
Reply #4 - 06/16/07  8:58pm
" Give him a BIG glass of water to drink. He can't risk dehydration when his BS is that high. "
Reply #5 - 06/17/07  5:33pm
" I will be praying that all went well and that you will keep us posted on what you found out !! "
Reply #6 - 06/17/07  10:51pm
" Well, after a trip to the hospital they leveled his sugars out that night and the next day they went right back up. I called the hospital and they said as long as he's feeling ok (Which he is) to just make sure to get in with his doctor this week and just keep giving him water. So, thats what i'm doing. I had him down to 211 today so we're gonna keep trying. Thanks everyone! We just found out a few weeks ago about him having this and its been hard on both of us. Alot of unanswered questions and a doctor who never has the time to answer them all (Dont worry, i'm changing his doctors :)) Thanks again! "
Reply #7 - 06/18/07  7:51am
" I pray your husband can get to a doctor today.
Keeping good thoughts for both of you. "
Reply #8 - 06/22/07  8:16pm
" I had a 499 when the doc found out I had diabetes i was feeling ok , she just gave me a shot of insulin n made sure I was ok Then i was on my way "
Reply #9 - 06/23/07  5:02pm
" what are his eating habits like? my sugars were always 275-375 for quite awhile, then I met a great dietition who showed me what a high fiber diet can do for sugar levels. I know you might think yuk, boring, but that's not true you can find great meals and snacks at wal-mart just be sure to look at fiber content, 7grams or more is great for each serving wal-mart and some other stores have a fiber bar that I really like it's called fiber one they have 2 flavors chocolate chip and peanutbutter both are great. as for lunches, look for healthy choice dinners, a number of them have 7-10 grams per meal. also use fibersure a blue bottle of fiber powder, for home cooking, and drinks like coffee or punch (not soda pop) and desserts like cakes, pies, brownies etc. look for natures own double fiber wheat bread for sandwiches. I eat like this every day and my sugar levels have dropped to normal, and I don't have to take insulin anymore. I do still take glipizide and metformin like I always have but the sugar levels are much better. "
Reply #10 - 06/23/07  5:26pm
" Kashi makes a great high fiber, high protein cereal called "Go Lean". It has 10 grams of fiber & 13 grams of protein per serving. I agree with the high fiber AND whole grain diet. I have issues with anything white (potatoes, rice, bread, etc.) so I've learned to stay away from them at all costs. I've had great success since January when I was diagnosed with an a1c of 9%. I walk every day & get 120 carbs per day & take 1mg Amaryl (Glimepiride) twice a day. I've been able to get my a1c down to 6.1% as of yesterday. I wish your husband all the luck in the world. The adjustment to this lifestyle isn't easy but it'll be worth it in the long run! "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Advice