Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
In Category: Treatments
Discussion:
5-HTP
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Anyone have any experience taking 5-HTP? Did it work? Were there side effects?
Posted on 09/10/10, 09:30 pm
6 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Depression. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/10/10  11:19pm
" I found it was giving me very vivid dreams. Not unpleasant, but very vivid. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/11/10  12:40am
" I took it for a few months, I think 100mg a day. It seemed like it helped me only on the very first day and then I didn't feel anything the rest of the time I took it. I was hoping it would kick in after a while but it just didn't make a difference for me. I hope it works for you if you try it.

I had really vivid dreams too. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/11/10  1:21am
" Mate,

Have you googled it and read user comments? You'll find the usual. Those who say it is wonderful and solved all the myseries of life and then there's us for whom it does nothing.

If you are looking at alternate therapies (I call them bullshit) apply the logic test to them, particularly of you are speaking to someone saying it's great.

That is, ask them "If this really works why isn't every doctor giving it out? Why are there doctors for mental problems at all in fact?

WHn a shrink recommended I needed ECT I applied the logic test after being sorely tempted as I wanted to die back then.

I asked him, he said many of his patients had it and it was great, if he could put me in touch with one or more of those patients, anonomously to check it out.

His answer was "No, that would infringe confidentiality". Actually it wouldn''t if he asked and they said OK. I'g be happy to tell anyone about a succesful treatment, wouldn't you?

Given the refusal I refused ECT, logically. And I;'m still here and doing OK 10 years later, ECT free. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 09/12/10  11:53pm
" Yes it worked a little too well and made me manic. SamE also works.. as does Tyrosine (and they all make me manic - but I am bipolar and cannot take things regular people do, for instance antidepressants alone will make me manic) But if you are taking antidepressants already please do not touch these things as it can increase your risk of Serotonin Syndome. Lately I really love Taurine, but for Bipolar disorder and there are actually doing studies on it for mania - I have never felt more stable. (though my doctor knows I am taking it, and I am still taking quite a cocktail of meds which it does not interact with)

Just be careful.
:-) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/15/10  2:25am
" One thing you might want to keep in mind is that doctors don't prescribe supplements like 5-HTP because they can't regulate them and they don't get a financial kickback from them. That doesn't neccesarily mean that supplements don't work. I just started 5-HTP a few days ago also hoping to get some help from it. Sam-e is also supposed to be helpful. Good luck! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 09/16/10  2:27pm
" Is sam-e only helpful in conjunction with antidepressants? (working on the neurotransmittors so making the antidepressant more effective) or does it work by itself as well? "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web