Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Can you lose your job?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Can I lose your job if you go to the hospital for depression? because today i feel horrible and all i think about lately is dying.I was taking lexapro and buspar for months but havent for over a week cause i ran out.plus i dont feel it did anything for me. I just feel like I can't take this feeling anymore and I should go to the hospital.but my brother is my manager at work and he lives with me and gets pissed about me missing work and my depression.He told me not to take medicine.but i feel like i dont care if i lose my house and everything anymore.If I goto the hospital for a few days can they fire you? I dont care about losing the money but i do need a job in the future.I really dont care what people thinkabout me anyway anymore.Should i go to the hospital? Thanks everyone and sorry about the way i write.
Posted on 01/13/10, 11:35 am
19 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Depression. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/13/10  11:38am
" Depression is illness. If you have a contract you cannot be fired for illness. They wouldn't fire you if you had appendicitus or swine flu. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/13/10  11:38am
" Oh, and there's nothing wron gwith the way you write :)

Brave move to ask for help. If you are offered hospitalisation take it. Good luck. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/13/10  11:40am
" Not sure, but I do know that a friend of mine had a bad pregnancy and the doctor put her off her feet. She had a state job, they fired her. Honestly they did. She can't get unemployment. She had the baby last week. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/13/10  11:40am
" thanks "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/13/10  11:44am
" hi dan...
honestly, in this day and age, they might find a reason to fire you.
however, you can always find another job, but if you follow through with these constant thoughts of suicide, you simply cannot find another life.
go to the hospital if you're in danger.
take care of you first.
i'm sad that your brother is not sympathetic to this disease whatsoever, but i find that is common.
just sit him down, explain that you are now going to take responsability for you and become pro-active in your fight against this disease, and that if he had an ounce of compassion, he would keep your job for you.
good luck dan! kick it's f' ing ass brother! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/13/10  11:46am
" Get documentation from your p-doc with an "official" diagnosis - just in case.

But this may be different in different states and different countries. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 01/13/10  11:47am
" In most US States, an employer can fire anyone for any reason or NO reason. It gets complicated though .. for example if there is a labor union involved. Basically, an employer can fire anyone anytime for any or NO REASON.

It was a mistake to stop taking your medication without a doctor's opinion. Suddenly stopping medication can cause some pretty big problems .. like a severe downward spiral.

Another problem you have is a brother in control of your mental health (whether to take medication or not), your professional position, and your home life ... at least two of which he is not qualified to handle for you.

Should you go to a hospital? Maybe. If there is a reasonable possibility you may harm yourself or someone else, you DEFINITELY need to be under professional supervision and need to present to a Doctor, ER, 911, or whatever.

Another reason to go is because you WANT to go .. in which case go right ahead if you have the means to pay for it.

I would say yes .. you could lose your job over it, but believe it or not, that should not stop you from seeking help if you think you are at risk of self harm. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 01/13/10  12:30pm
" The UK tends to be a little more reticent in firing people with health issues, but that very much depends on your employer. The others are right, though. Your health MUST come first, as without it you will not be able to function. Hang in there daniel. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 01/13/10  1:28pm
" What people can do LEGALLY and what they do anyway are two different things. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is designed to protect your job under this kind of circumstance, but that wouldn't keep them from firing you anyway and turning it into a legal battle.

That said, voodooguru was spot on with his advice. Your life comes first. Always. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 01/13/10  3:44pm
" you can use the family medical leave act. it is a dissability to suffer with depression. he could fire you however then you might get unemployment or fight him under the americans with dissabilities act. Most of all do what is best for you. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web