should Lexapro be taken at night or in the morning
I've been prescribed Lexapro for mild depression with anxiety. I wanted input about the drowsy side effects of lexapro. If I take it in the morning will I feel like I'm dragging all day? or if I take it at night will I toss and turn all night. (I tend to do that anyway, worrying about pointless things!!!) Anyone else do that??? I think that's what drives me crazy, is the worry when I'm trying to sleep!!! I don't drink lots of caffeine either for the reason that it keeps me awake. A few years ago I was taking Desyrel to help me sleep and it seemed to help with the anxiety... Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Posted on 07/28/07, 10:09 am
Reminder: This is a support group for Depression. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 07/28/07  10:13am
" Yes, switch to taking it at bedtime. "
Reply #2 - 07/28/07  10:16am
" My doctor told me to take it at night because it will make you sleepy. That is what I do, and it does help me sleep a little better. "
Reply #3 - 07/28/07  11:13am
" Thanks for the input!!! I'll take it at night...
-Jen "
Reply #4 - 07/28/07  12:49pm
" I take it in the AM. Have for 2 years now. Maybe I'll try it at night. I think it depends on the person and Dr. Follow his advice. "
Reply #5 - 07/28/07  1:08pm
" After the drug is in your system for a while, it doesn't matter whether you take it in the am, or the pm. At first, it tends to make you sleepy. "
Reply #6 - 07/30/07  11:21pm
" Lexapro makes me a nervous wreck at night. My doctor told me it would make me a bit wired during the day. I think there's as many opinions as there are doctors and patients:-|.
Lisa "
Reply #7 - 07/30/07  11:39pm
" I take Lexapro in the morning as soon as I get up. I take synthroid too and I need to take that on an empty stomach so first thing in the morning is best for me. I take my Lexapro at that time too so I don't forget.

The drowsy side effects should resolve as your body gets used to the med. If it makes you really drowsy, I would take it at bedtime. "
Reply #8 - 07/31/07  12:11am
" this question was asked by this same ID maybe 4-5 months ago... still nothing on her page since... "
Reply #9 - 07/31/07  12:18am
" It's not so much a matter of opinion, Lisa. It's the fact that drugs may react differently to different people. "
Reply #10 - 07/31/07  6:51am
" So far I've taken it the past 2 nights and I've slept ok, but not great. I don't seem to be very drowsy during the day either. I know it's only been 2 days, but it doesn't seem to have any bad side effects. No headache, no upset stomach, no dry mouth... we'll see what it does for my depression! Thanks again for everyone's opinions!!! -Jen "