Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
do you ever really get over depression?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
hey all -

lately, i've been thinking alot about the times 12 years ago when i suffered through my darkest days with depression. i haven't thought about those times much, but i've started to think about if one ever really conquers depression, or if you ever feel it tugging at you even when you're in a good place....you?
Posted on 05/23/08, 01:20 am
21 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Depression. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/23/08  1:26am
" You never get over it...at least 'I' personally don't think so...but you do get through it. It's a lot like greiving...You never get over the loss of your loved one, but there are days when you are down right happy...you have just managed to get through it...come out on the other side for a while...you might get pulled back...a memory...a trigger...but you can still survive and make it through... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/23/08  10:46am
" I dont think maybe that it ever goes away completely. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 05/23/08  10:50am
" I feel like I'm over it now!!! Of course on meds.. so we'll see next April. I can only HOPE to always "feel it lurking" so that I'm aware and don't let it take me over again. Now that my husband and children have seen the dark days, I hope that if I'm not aware of what's going on, they'll step in and get me back to the doctor so it never gets that bad again! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 05/23/08  10:52am
" i think that depression is merely a part of us trying to get us to slow down and get real. the better we get at being true to our inner selves the thinner the fog of depression. best wishes. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 05/23/08  11:11am
" they say that everyone gets it at some point in life - whereas i beleive i will be fighting it all my life - never to lose the war like before but to stay in the battle of life until my real time comes. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 05/23/08  11:20am
" It all depends. Depression is different for everybody. For some people it goes away after six months for some other people they have it their whole life. It also depends on how you get it. For me I have Asperger's Syndrome and it has been found that depression is commonly found in those who have Asperger's Syndrome. So there is no actual way of telling weither it is going to disappear or not "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 05/23/08  11:23am
" I like to believe you can. My doctor says that with proper drug therapy, you can effectively "reboot" the levels of serotonin and norepinephrine in your brain. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 05/23/08  7:14pm
" I don't believe you ever get over depression. I have been fighting it for years and still can find myself looking at that black space and scared I am going to go back there. When that happens, I just try to think or do something else, something I enjoy doing like reading or listening to music loud and fast. It is a battle we will win, just have to work at it one day at a time! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 05/24/08  2:36am
" mines for life. like scars. itll heal, but itll never go away. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 05/24/08  2:41am
" I think once you have had clinical depression you are more susceptible.. however I think there are alot of people out there on the brink ( as I was once) who do not know what to do or how to cope..
I do believe I will be off meds but at least I can see the signs if I get worse. True I think small things can trigger bouts and knowing that can give you strength "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web