Does Namenda Work??
My husband had three seizures two weeks ago. His doctor took him off of Aricept as he felt it was causing his seizures. I read an article about Namenda. Does anyone know if it works? Thank you!
Posted on 11/24/08, 12:04 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Dementia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 11/25/08  12:51am
" Hi Judy, I have heard good things about Namenda. I wanted the doctor to put Mom on it but he put her on the 4.6 mg. Exelon patch instead and it has been wonderful! It has helped her a lot. It does come in pill form as well. Good luck. "
Reply #2 - 11/25/08  9:22am
" My Father has been taking Namenda for 6 months, no noticeable side effects so far. It has helped with clarity, cognition and a bit of short term memory issues I believe. He was in pretty rough shape when we started him on this, high anxiety and depression, confused and lost. Took a few weeks to see a difference and they were also starting him on new anti-depressant at same time, so it's hard to tell which one is helping with which issues right now.

I know the doctor's have told me that these meds have a limited effective life (6 months to several years) and work better when started earlier on in disease process.

We started at low dose for several weeks and slowly raised it to watch for side effects. I wish you well my friend and hope this helps a bit. Keep us updated. Cathy "
Reply #3 - 11/25/08  3:14pm
" Thank you K92607 and Pounder ... I have a call out to his doctor. His moods sings have me in knots. I feel like I am walking on eggs. I am fighting panic attacks and depression just trying to keep him calm. He is on 300 mg of Seroquel and 30 mg of Lexapro not to mention 2000 mg of Keppra for his seizures. Again, thank you for responding! "
Reply #4 - 11/29/08  11:12pm
" My dad has a habit of stopping his meds. he saw his doctor after a fall and he has gotten so much worse lately despite all my efforts with Drs. etc. However he is tolerating the Namenda which a Dr. put him on. Apparently he`s tolerating it pretty well but its too early to tell. I am afraid to hope after everything thats happened but I try to take it a day at a time.....Best of luck....Kontiki "
Reply #5 - 11/30/08  9:14pm
" My husband has been on Nemanda for over a year and it has been the best thing that has happened to him. Before the Nemanda he was very disoriented and had little memory. After the Nemanda he is more himself. He has leveled out and sill sometimes forgetful but so much better that I would not ever want him off of the Nemanda. He has not had any side effects so far and I am so thankful. I will keep you in my prayers. Blessings "
Reply #6 - 12/10/08  9:15pm
" I appreciate you asking this, my mom just started taking it about a month-2 ago, no major side-effects, but it is too soon to tell. Take Care. "
Reply #7 - 12/16/08  1:59am
" Everyone is special and different even though they may have the same disorder or disease.
Namenda I was told is for patients with advanced Dementia. Namenda works with the exelon patch to help with memory and aggression as long as possible I was told.
DO NOT LET ANYONE STOP THE EXELON PATCH.
Exelon is a Maintance Medication. They told me at the nursing home that my dad could not take the exelon pill. I need to check that out more. Dad is wearing the patch again and it takes 30 days on most patients to take effect. they do put you on Namenda gradually . My Dad did take seroquel at one time and he was doing fine when he lived at home then he stopped it for a while he took a antibiotic which was bad because once you start you dont just stop. So now dad is on Geodon.
Dad gets depressed and wants to come home.
It is very hard I want him home too. I can not do it alone and my husband will not have my dad in the home.I visit him everyday to give him a sense of family. I also want to see how he is doing. I want to make sure that dad is not falling between the cracks.
I have a mother in law that does not help.
She has invited my husband to come and live with her if I bring my dad home. Well I only wanted to bring him home for Christmas. She told me that her son could not take much more of it and he is doing too much already??
Then she told me when to visit my dad too!
In conclusion of our conversation she asked me or told me to make a copy of a picture of my husbands brother???? His mom is 86 does she have dementia?
lol