DJD, DDD, and Osteoarthritis, are they the same?
After a long period of eliminating possible causes behind the symptoms I am having, Iíve been told that I have degenerative disc and joint disease. Osteoarthritis was also mentioned.

Iíve researched this information to see if djd, ddd and osteoarthritis are the same thing. Iíve found conflicting information. I understand that djd affects the joints and ddd affects the discs in the spine. I was surprised to learn that some people have ddd without symptoms of djd. I would really like to know if osteoarthritis is the same thing as ddd and djd.

Can anybody clear this up for me?
Posted on 10/23/08, 01:44 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Degenerative Joint Disease. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 11/09/08  10:04pm
" I am not doctor but I think DJD is the facet joints and DDD is your disc degeneration. Osteoarthritis is DJD. I have all at 44 unfortunely among aot of other stuff. "
Reply #2 - 11/16/08  6:49am
" Lisa is right. The osteoarthitis causes hypertropy of the vertebrae at the level of the facet joints in the spine. Add ddd and you have one dysfuntional spine full of pain! "
Reply #3 - 11/23/08  11:42am
" I agree with all. There is a difference and you can look up on google and get some really good info about your medical situation. "
Reply #4 - 09/28/09  2:41am
" I am not a doctor but I do know there is a huge difference between normal, progressive osteo and osteo from an injury. I have both and the injury is what is killing me. I can tolerate the rest of the pain. "
Reply #5 - 12/16/09  1:11am
" You have the same conditions as I do: DDD, DJD and OA! They are all different. Visit Spine Universe or just google the terms. They are a painful trio! "
Reply #6 - 01/02/10  7:44pm
" Spine Universe? That sounds like it could be a good site. I have djd from an injury and the pain is awful. "