More DailyStrength
Health Event Calendar
See what's new on the site
Step-by-step Tutorials
How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
what kind of doctor?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
What kind of doctor do most of you see for DDD?
I have that plus cervical spondylosis, MS, Fibro, among other things. Do I need an orthopedic?
Posted on 04/26/08, 10:17 pm
9 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Degenerative Disc Disease. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/29/08  9:19am
" I started with one, then he sent me to the pain management clinic. Sorry you have so much pain...
hugs, Kelly "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 12/28/09  10:34am
" hi,
you could try glucosamine supplement...
its suppose to rejuvenate our soft tissue around the bone...
it does help with my friend condition with Cervical spondylosis "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/28/09  12:08pm
" I tried GP and he sent me to pain clinic and then to a surgeon and then to another pain clinic and the 3rd pain clinic and this was the charm I have got the most relief fom this pain clinic what I am saying if a pain clinic doesn't help you doesn't mean the next one will or will not help you just keep looking till you hit the one that works.As for the surgery it was great for about 2 years and was right back to the same pain and no I would not have another.I have DDD and spondylosis in my cervical and lumbar spine and osteoporosis's. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 12/31/09  10:19pm
" With a cervical issue more then likely you would be referred to a neurosurgeon. I'm sure Ortho's care more then capable, but they say neuro's are the drs that usually perform any surgeries because of the cervical region being so close to the brain, so I'm told. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/25/10  1:28pm
" I would see a neurosurgeon no matter which part of your spine is causing you problems. It may also be necessary to go to a pain clinic. If it is recommended that you get injections to help your back, be sure the person doing it does it under fluoroscopy so they can see what they are doing. Different things help different people and sometimes surgery is really necessary. Good luck. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/26/10  7:17am
" you should be seeing an ortho who speicializes in the spine and a pain management dr. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 01/28/10  3:13am
" I was sent to a Spinal surgeon after the first set of MRI's on lumbar and c-spine. A year later I was sent to a Neurosurgeon at Mayo clinics. My Primary doc has made many referrals, oh and the neuro referred me to Mayo clinics pain clinic, ha that was a laugh, long story, no help due to too much pain from too many conditions and diseases. My Primary has prescribed all the pain meds though it was a Rheumy who first prescribed a pain med for regular use. I've been referred to a pain doc but cannot seem to get all that paperwork in order, sent and get my first appointment. I had one acupuncture session and it was great but being at an IHS (Indian health svcs) hospital I would not be able to get in often enough so I quit that though I wish I could get it like twice a week. I do have injections scheduled way off in the future because once again it is the IHS hospital. Well that's my story and sorry I started rambling. I hope you find the right doctor and treatment. : )

Sherry "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 02/07/10  6:23pm
" I see a pain management doc. There isn't a whole lot that can be done for DDD. The pain can be minimized with medication. Yoga and other exercise can keep you as strong and flexible as possible. I also see a chiropractor and a massage therapist / acupuncturist. It helps to eat right and keep your weight under control and generally lead a healthy lifestyle. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 02/08/10  10:24am
" i have seen just about everyone, GP, neurosurgeon, spinal surgeons, and pain management. And a smattering of others in between...I am left with a neurosurgeon who works with a spinal surgery group and a PM doc who is a neuro specialist...but pretty much just PM, all else has failed, but the DDD is minor compared to what else is going on with my spine. "

Add Your Reply

More From Around the Web