How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Has anyone tried marijuana to help with the pain?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I was wondering if any of yall have tried marijuana to help relieve the pain from DDD? BTW I HAVE NOT TRIED IT, but if it was legal I sure would give it a try !
But if anyone has tried it... did it work? Did it help any?
Thanks!!
Posted on 10/27/10, 01:42 am
8 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Degenerative Disc Disease. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 10/27/10  2:16am
" It's legal in Michigan. Before it was legal I tried it. (well, so what?) LOL Anyway, all it did was relax me ~ it did NOT take away any pain. Now I know it depends on the strength of the marijuana,but I doubt the govt. is going to give you stronger stuff than what you buy on the streets. I might be wrong.

My doc said if I wanted to switch to it I could, but then he'd take me off all my pain meds. HUH??? I don't think so!!! Marijuane doesn't WORK that well, so I'm not going to do it! I still need the pain meds.

I'm just gonna stay with the status quo. Best of luck. Hugs, Lee "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/06/10  10:53am
" Hi Holly1989, I'm new here and live in RI where it is legal to use Medical Marijuana(MM). I researched the use of MM for chronic neuropathic pain before speaking with my doc about getting into the MM program here. I can say that it is helpful but expensive. I can't grow it myself because I am too ill and it's not easy to take care of the plants. Hence, the need for an honest caregiver. Even with a caregiver, it's expensive to buy the MM when on SSDI and it's not realistic for a doctor to just stop prescribing pain medicine for MM. Some people find adequate relief and others don't just as with different pain medicines. It is worth trying because it can be a good augment to therapy. It does help. I just wish there were not so many barriers to having adequate amounts for relief. I hope this is helpful for you and others considering MM use. One never knows what they get on the streets and there are too many creeps out there who charge black market prices for what's passed off as MM. I wouldn't recommend going that route. The government doesn't determine the potency of MM. The potency is determined by the amount of thc and cannabinoids in the MM itself and the grower. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 11/09/10  11:24am
" I haven't tried using it since my never-ending chronic pain descended on me about 8 years ago. I thought about trying it, but remembered that when I used it in the heyday of disco, if I had a sprain, an awful headache, whatever, the stuff made me feel the pain more, not less. Marijuana intensifies feelings you already have - including pain. It may be different for others. That was just MY experience.

I'm glad that marijuana does help, however, for terrible nausea, glaucoma, etc. I think it has a positive role to play in medicine, depending on the disease or condition AND how a particular person experiences pain.

I've been coping with pain by using ibuprofen (prescription), gel ice packs, and using naps, music, even pleasant scented candles. Anything I can do to distract my brain from pain! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 11/10/10  12:17am
" i think if my state ever passes the medical marijuana i might try it!
Seems like all the pain meds the dr has gave me has made me sick "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 11/11/10  8:53pm
" Yes, I smoke mj and it works great--- especially the high THC varieties. Hashish rocks too. MJ works on pain in a different manner than opioids. I take them together. Some who can not tolerate opioids find relief with mj. It should just be legal. It is no biggie. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 11/29/10  2:51am
" I am in total agreement with ChronicIL. A huge muscle relaxer. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 12/01/10  12:49pm
" I have a medical mj card and have tried it. I do not like that "loaded" feeling it produces. It does help with the anxiety or panic feeling you get when your pain level gets up there and you are at wits end. I dont use it on a regular basis but sometimes if I wake up at night and I have already taken my meds but am still suffering I do some and I am able to relax and go back to sleep for awhile. I have not noticed it helping with the pain. But I have only done it maybe 4 times because I dont like the loaded feeling. I would suck on chicken feet if I thought it would help and keep me off of the harder narcotics, LOL! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 12/06/10  10:26pm
" I live in Washington State where MM is legal. I use MM both for somatic pain and neuropathic pain.

With somatic pain, relaxes me and makes the pain seem less important, but it doesn't make it go away completely.

With neuropathic pain, MM ingested orally and/or vaporized and inhaled keeps the neuro pain at bay long enough for me to fall asleep for about 3-4 hours, at least. When I wake up with neuro pain in the middle of the night, I smoke a couple quick hits from a small pipe, the pain subsides and I go back to sleep.

Before I started using cannabis for the pain, I was waking up in the middle of the night with excruciating wish-I-was-dead pain at least 3 or 4 times a month. I started using cannabis nightly before bed in early May. As of now, 7 months later, I have woken up only 2 times with a seizure and during the 2nd one I discovered that smoked cannabis would actually STOP the seizure. Nothing else had worked for that.

This has been my experience. I hope this helps. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web