Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Chewing Tobacco and IRN
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Does anyone know if the use of chewing tobacco can affect your IRN levels?
Dave
Posted on 12/09/09, 06:07 pm
3 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 12/11/09  8:24pm
" I don't know, but maybe you could ask your pharmacist. Someone suggested to me early on that I run all non-prescription and prescription drugs by the pharmacist. Maybe he/she will know about tobacco. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 12/12/09  11:13am
" Hi Nwhunter,

I don't know about chewing tabacco either, but the issue with smoking is it reduces oxygen at the capillary level, as well as dehydrates you both due to the smoke itself. However, if just chewing, which introduces just nicotine into the blood, in my opinion, I don't think it does affect your INR level.

Ace "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/12/09  2:27pm
" This was cross posted on the PE board too. This URL had information about 1/2 way down on smokeless tobacco use on warfarin.

http://www.uspharmacist.com/content...

I think nicotine in all its forms (smoked, chewed, patch, gum, etc.) interacts with warfarin and drives your INR down. (Ignoring all the other associated health impacts :) -p "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web