Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
foot swelling
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I am just wondering; to those of you who have dealt with swelling of the foot from dvt, how long did the swelling last before it become more tollerable and or gone? mine has been two months now and no signs of it getting better.My INR was 2.2 yesterday and the clots are thinning but no one can tell me whats going on with my foot.
Thank you for any input.
john
Posted on 02/26/08, 06:59 pm
14 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/27/08  12:21am
" I had bad swelling for approx. a month into treatment, and it was mostly gone (unless I worked it too hard) after 2-3 months. I still have an occassional rough day with it.
Stay hydrated, exercise as much as you can (it improves the blood flowing back up the leg, since you have valve damage) and wear compression stockings if your doctor will allow. The stockings aren't glamorous, but they work! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/27/08  6:39am
" I agree with all Jeb says, my consultant told me yesterday that exercise really helps and to get walking, so I am going to try to do some every day - I will get this swelling down!
Compression stocking are also good, if you get the right size. Here in the uk they don't seem to have it sorted particularly well. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/27/08  10:35am
" Thank you everyone; I am so glad that I found y'all. It's nice to be able to share this with ppl who have gone through this.
john "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/28/08  5:22pm
" Hey all! My doctor keeps telling me that I should stay off of my feet and keep the swollen foot elevated. I understand that but I need to get back to work and I have been off of my feet for 6 weeks with the advice from several differt doctors. I just need to vent I guess; I really need to get back on my feet and thats why I keep asking about the swelling.
John "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/02/08  1:01am
" I understand though...its so frustrating to be told "just stay off your feet" when there are bills to be paid. My job doesn't really offer a place to kick my leg up, nor would they appreciate it... I was able to get my position changed to one that required less movement, so I'm grateful-since I have to work. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/07/08  9:45pm
" Ya, this drove me crazy when I first got back to work. I sat in lawn chairs, I propped my feet up on boxes, I even tried standing up for a while. FINALLY I found a chair that works (if combined with a footrest Ottoman.) If you want the link to it, post or send me a message. I never thought I could work at a desk all day again, and now I do! Also remember that in the US, at least, your employer *must* make accomodation for a disability or medical condition. You don't have to threaten to sue, usually, just tell them "I really need this chair and we have to make room for it." If they start making a fuss, just keep saying that you don't understand why they wouldn't accomodate your medical condition. Give them a hawk-like stare, fold your arms across your chest, and don't back down! BTW, I did not have much luck with compression stockings, but that may be just me. And yes, Subie, walking is key. Work slowly up to at least a mile a day on flat ground. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 03/13/08  4:33pm
" hey John... keep exercising.. pump and pump and pump... I have suffered from post dvd symptoms since last february...have tried the 'stay in bed with foot up theory'... do you have a gym nearby? suggest starting on the treadmill at a slow speed for 1k (kilometer) to start with every 2nd day... when you are sitting, pump your foot ie lift up and down (i count to 30 every set) get the muscle in your calf working ... I went to the gym yesterday and walked 1.7 km and did some rowing...at this stage the cross trainer is too harsh.. the swelling in your foot will not go away by bed rest..(tried it... I know ) good luck "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 03/14/08  6:20pm
" Thank you all for the advice. After what has felt like HELL, I am getting back on my feet.When this all started I was told I had tendonitis in my foot, then it was broken, then finally they found the clots. After almost 3 months of this the swelling has gone down and next week I am getting fitted compression stockings. I have also found out that I had a mild stroke and now an umbillical hernia.I am walking around my block for now because of the muscle loss in my leg from being on crutches and a cast from Late Dec. to Late Feb. Hopefully I will be going back to work soon which is manual labor; my dr. said that the hernia is still pretty small( the size of a thumb end) so at this time I am not having anything done to it. I was in shock with all this new info about the mild stroke and hernia so I am still not sure about the hernia situation as far as what I can do or not do with this.However, I am finally seeing the end of the tunnle.Thanx again,
John "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 03/20/08  7:37pm
" They told me it would take 2 wks. It took 4mos. I think if I had tried the compression stockings earlier, it would have made a dif. I just got them a few wks ago and the swelling is gone and so is the pain (well most of it) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 03/24/08  7:57pm
" i have swelling in both feet and lower legs, i wear the commpression socks always. my therapist tried something called wrapping for 3 weeks it really controlled the swelling until you take the wrappings off for a couple hours then the swelling comes back. i have had my clots for 6 months. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web