Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Spirulina?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi there,
I'm just wondering if anyone knows if spirulina is safe to take while on warfarin? I was told by my doctor that I'm anaemic and that I should take iron supplements, but I find them very hard to digest! I would prefer to take spirulina, and I know that it is high in iron as well as a lot of other minerals and vitamins, but as it is plant based I am not sure if it would interfere with my warfarin/INR, or if it would have a coagulant effect.
Any advice appreciated :)
Posted on 10/29/10, 05:19 pm
6 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 10/29/10  9:37pm
" I'm not familiar with spirulina and it's compatibilty with warfarin. However, I have a very good relationship with both my pharmacist and my hematologist's RN. I don't take anything they haven't told me previously was okay with the Warfarin. Anything new that a different doctor prescribes and I consult with those two people before taking anything. Sometimes, they will say that it is fine to take a med or vitamin that could mildly affect my INR, but they require me to come into the lab more frequently at first and then adjust the Warfarin's mg accordingly to allow for that med or vitamin. If an iron supplement is needed, I'm sure your doctor can work with you and adjust your Warfarin also, if it's needed. Just make sure your "team" are all being kept in the loop with what your taking and any changes. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 10/30/10  7:42am
" Why don't you ask your dr or pharmacist? Warfarin is nothing to fool with...people here are very nice and kind but not qualified to give you medical advice. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 10/30/10  10:57am
" I would call the pharmacist and ask. They have tons of drug databases at their disposal and can tell pretty quickly what affects what. Also ... no copay! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 11/12/10  7:16am
" Thanks for your replies and I'm sorry for not responding sooner. It seems that doctors and pharmacists are confused when it comes to spirulina...they all seem to air on the side of caution and recommend not taking it, saying that they are not aware of any studies that would test for spirulina's interaction with warfarin. So because they don't know they recommend staying away from it. I've been taking spatone which is a liquid iron supplement, and so far so good :) thanks again for your replies :) D "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 11/12/10  6:08pm
" If it contains vitamin K, which I think it may, then it ican nteract with warfarin.

Have you tried eating foods either high in iron or fortified with iron? Lots of cereals are fortified with iron. Cooking with a cast iron skillet helps too. I can't take iron supplements and have some anemia problems at times myself and just try to be mindful of foods that contain iron. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 11/15/10  5:00pm
" Thanks rmb, I take lots of cereal and food with iron, but I don't eat meat so I need to substitute with other food. So far I've been taking the iron supplement (spatone) with no major problems. It's a liquid iron supplement that is easy enough on the system (so far anyway :)) "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web