how to lose weight while on warfarin
Hi everybody.Last September I got DVT and I am on warfarin for life. Since that I gained almost 20 lbs. My Dr says that warfarin has nothing with weight /she says food taste better ??? when you taking warfarin???so you eat more/ I am tired of daiting and traing different things every Mondey. Any advice about exercise and diet. This is my second dvt. After first dvt /i was 23 yers old/ I wasn't so scared. I did yoga, biking, weight lifting, karate anything. I was very active but now...is different story. Also now I am 47 yers old which scared me more than enything. I wouldn't like to be fat old lady. Any advice pls
Thanks
Posted on 05/19/09, 04:50 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 05/19/09  10:45pm
" I think everyone is different...I actually lost some weight when I started taking Coumadin and I really don't have much to lose. I suggest you take up swimming since that is little to no impact and can make you feel better. As always, stick to a healthy diet and drink plenty of water. "
Reply #2 - 05/20/09  8:26pm
" I gained 23 pounds in 5 weeks between Doctor appointments. He insists the warfin did not cause it. I am very inactive due to my left ankle, but eating habits haven't changed ? My wife works steady 3-11, so we eat our big meal at noon now. Around dinner time, I get a cup of frozen mixed vegetables, or fruit. I'm hoping my next Doctor appointment shows an improvement. He claims a diet won't hurt. He may have to adjust the Coumadin MG, but he'd rather do that than see me pack on the pounds. Good luck. "
Reply #3 - 05/21/09  2:05pm
" If you can I would ask a Registered Dietitian. "
Reply #4 - 05/21/09  7:40pm
" I'm like you, bikeskiswim, I lost weight while on coumadin. It must do something strange to the system...because I was also hungry a lot and ate quite a bit...but I ate a lot of protein and really stayed away from sauces..so maybe that helped too. I also don't have much to lose. Since being off warfarin, I have gained 5 lbs....which is fine, I didn't need to lose the weight. I would drink a lot of water, walk, swim, do yoga, pilates. I think that coumadin/warfarin does weird things to us all. Keep active; eat a lot of protein; stay away from junk food and sauces.... It's hard to cut back on food much...don't want to affect the INR too much....just cut back a little and see what that does. "
Reply #5 - 05/22/09  10:47pm
" Thank you for responding and sugestions. This morning I start with yoga and later with biking.Thank God I was very skinny so I stil don't look so big. I am vegetarian and this is also my big problem becouse I cannot eat what I like.My dr says that I can eat only 2tbs of cooked spinach or 1/2 cup of brocoli per day. I eat lots of fruits (which is packed with sugar),

@RichardB ,definitly I would like to hear advise from your Registered Dietitian Thank you very much everybody your support means a lot. "
Reply #6 - 05/23/09  2:11pm
" I gained 10+ pounds while I was on coumadin too. It's harder when you're a lifer b/c you can't eat the salads and such. I would start by increasing your exercise, but do what's comfortable for YOU. Yoga, biking, and swimming are all good. I've taken up walking big-time (finished a half-marathon this year). My hemotologist has a counselor and dietician to help out -- maybe yours does too? I would def get some professionals on your side from the doctor or the gym to get a plan. Good luck! "
Reply #7 - 05/24/09  4:22am
" I don't know if it's just me but I got switched to Plavix for a while. The first day I started it lost all my appetite. That was about 3 years ago and am back on the warfin. In that time I have lost a little over 150 lbs. The day I started plavix I lost my appetite and it's never come back. I go for days without eating just because I'm not hungry and don't think about eating. When my stomach starts hurting I will sometimes remember to eat. Dr's say that can't happen but then I'm always doing things that they can't explain. very wierd. "
Reply #8 - 05/24/09  10:16am
" Sometimes I am sooo hungry like I have hole in my stomach. I don't eat too much, traying to control everything but...stil gaining weight. Every day I say same to myself - today I will eat less and I will practis. I do eat less and practis but... nothing helps. I realy don't know what is the reason but I will stick with healthy eating and exrcise so probably I will loose some weight. Even though my dr says that warfarin has nothing with weight gaining I think it does and realy believe that reason for my weight is warfarin. I was this big only when I was pregnent. Unbelievable what warfarin can do.
As dragonfyre says I'm always doing things that dr's can't explain "
Reply #9 - 05/25/09  12:08pm
" I am a 62 pound loser since on Warfarin. The biggest key was to have my doctor involved in the entire process so that he could adjust my Warfarin so I could stay therapeutic. I exercise as much as possible because like others I noticed an increase in my appetite. I swim for exercise because it does not bother my legs at all. I also increased my fluid intake to 100 ounces of water a day. I am at a 1400 calorie a day diet - I cut out all soy oil and soy bean products but I eat salads daily (remember you can do this if you are consistent). You can do it -- just keep your doctor informed. You may need to have your INR tested more often if your levels start to change. Good luck to you - you can do it. "
Reply #10 - 05/25/09  2:06pm
" Wow Binks!
I just thought I'd congratulate you on all that lost weight :-D
I'm struggling to lose three pounds and you've lost more than sixty - WOW!
I did a test-diet (my first ever) in November last year and lost six pounds in three weeks. Now I've been trying to do the same thing and every day my scales say I am HEAVIER?!? "