Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Mastic Gum , H. pylori
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Gum mastic is a natural substance from the sap of the Mediterranean evergreen tree, Pistacia lentiscus. Mastic gum has been shown to be effective in protecting the digestive system, healing peptic and duodenal ulcers, and eradicating H. pylori from the gut.

H. pylori is known to afflict almost two-thirds of all humans, and is recognized as the most prevalent form of bacterial infection in the world. While many infected people may never show any symptoms, H. pylori is strongly associated with a number of gastrointestinal diseases, including chronic active, chronic persistent, and atrophic gastritis. Additionally, H. pylori infection is established to be a major cause of gastric ulcers (6) and up to 80% of all duodenal ulcers are blamed on H. pylori infection. (7) Since the immune system is helpless to control H. pylori, unless eradicated by other means, infection generally lasts a lifetime.

December 24, 1998 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine reported that mastic is an effective antibacterial agent for the treatment of H. pylori. In the report the authors stated that, Even low doses of mastic gum —one gram per day for two weeks— can cure peptic ulcers very rapidly

A 2007 study from the University of Athens showed that mastic actually altered the function of certain immune cells in patients with active Crohn’s disease. Another 2007 study showed that in patients with active Crohn’s disease, mastic gum downregulated inflammatory markers like NF-Kappa B and interleukin-6, as well as C-reactive protein.

Scientists have identified several anti-inflammatory and antioxidant substances within mastic gum that may be partially responsible for its modern and traditional reputation. What is also known is that mastic appears to combat a pathogenic bacterium by the name of Helicobacter pylori, which is known to promote chronic gastritis (inflammation in the stomach) and the majority of ulcers.

Anyone using Mastic Gum, and as it helped ?
(CR) = ?
Posted on 05/01/10, 01:24 pm
3 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Crohn's Disease & Ulcerative Colitis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/01/10  2:13pm
" I'm very curious to as if this is beneficial to UC as well. I feel I am so close to the verge of remission but my gut isn't quite making the jump yet. Almost all my bleeding has stopped (only a little in the morning) but the D keeps on coming. I want to find that one step that will solidify things and heal me up before my doc puts me on remicade.

Where can you get this? I was at rite aid the other day looking at all the supplements and don't recall seeing this. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/01/10  6:06pm
" I found a place online that sells this - Organic Pharmacy.org

http://organicpharmacy.org/search.p... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 05/01/10  6:08pm
" ugh, i hate the way DS text box deals with links. click on the bottom link I posted not on the bit that's automatically made itself into a link that says pharmacy . org "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web