Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Side affects/remission? not sure...
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi,
My 4 year old is currently diagnosed with Crohn's Colitis... whatever that means..I am still in shock & not quite sure if that means Crohn's or Colitis... anyway, we are going for a 3rd opinion..
Have any of you been tested for allergies to food? A possible allergy to a good that may be triggering your UC/Crohn's? My son's dr is testing for this..
Also, he does not have any blood in his stool, they are loose.. but not completely... and he goes about 1/2 times a day... he "seems" fine.. but he is CONSTANTLY squinting.. has anyone here had problems with their eyesight?
I say prayers for all of us on this board... you are all so brave...
Maria
Posted on 03/30/10, 09:41 am
8 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Crohn's Disease & Ulcerative Colitis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/30/10  1:39pm
" Crohn's is a chronic relapsing inflammatory disease of the digestive system that can affect any part of the gastrointestinal tract. Patients can suffer from a number of different symptoms in various combination's, including abdominal pain, bloody diarrhea, fever, vomiting and weight loss. Rarer complications include skin manifestations, arthritis and EYE inflammation.

I have been dealing with ( CD ) 22 years.
I do believe the disease has contributed to my not seeing so clear at night (Poor Night Vision).

Twice In 22 yrs , I have had a broke blood vessel in my eye , both times within a week my Crohn`s disease flared-up bad.

You said:
"allergies to food?" Yes, mine are Wheat flours.
"not quite sure if that means?" Means start Contentious Learning about this disease, everything you can.

My prayers have been sent, hug that little boy for me, tks
(CR) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/30/10  5:07pm
" I was just diagnosed this week, although I have been hospitalized with the weirdest things over the years, even had my appendix removed for a "bad infection behind the appendix even though the appendix was fine but they could not figure out what was wrong with me, five days in the hospital. I can gaurantee you I have had this since I was a child. Certain foods really do make me sick. So when your child really does not like broccoli or cauliflower and tell you it makes his tummy hurt, please believe him. Milk makes me wheeze but I do not have asthma, go figure! Any thing high in fiber, ouch! Everyone is different though "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/30/10  8:31pm
" Nutrition is key. Lots of protein and water. Cut out refined foods(anything in a can, box, bag, fast food, most restaurant food). It will help to cook veggies during a flare. May even need to puree. Best wishes to you and your son. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/31/10  4:31am
" I've been tested for allergies to gluten, and although it comes back negative (had the test 3 times now), I know for a fact that I am highly gluten intolerant. Every time I have wheat based products - bam, problem.... even though it's not 'technically' an allergy.
There are other foods I am highly sensitive too, but am not allergic to, like caffeine (found in chocolate also), but I guess your 4 year old isn't quaffing espressos ;-)

Try taking him off wheat and dairy (many CD / UC folk are lactose intolerant), and then gradually reintroducing foods to check for a reaction.

Be careful with raw foods too, and nuts and seeds, they can be harsh on the digestive tract.

Not sure about the eyesight issue, although Crohns can cause eye inflammation - worth checking out. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/31/10  10:28am
" Thanks everyone, as usual... I have been peeling his apples & Pears.. i give him the best of hard cheeses and rice pasta- homemade chicken soup..
And the biggest kicker is...
I've always cooked like this! UGH- just so very aggrevating.. NOW, he's stopped the eye squinting... i dont know if it's because I've mentioned something to him and he was doing it more b/c he knew I was watching him.. :)
I am cracking up over the quaffing espresso comment.. my 4 year old happens to like coffee ice cream :) Now, he has rainbow sorbet...
He also likes provolone cheese, brocolli rabe... everything Italian. :)
I keep him away from some of these things, now...
I hope everyone here is doing well..
I dont know any of you, but I pray for all of you!
Maria "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/31/10  12:33pm
" Give your boy a big hug :).
I've learned that having food alergies and food intolerances are a big thing. Unfortunatly the only thing you can do is test foods and keep a food journal and really you can try to begin to start to get this under control. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 03/31/10  12:52pm
" I was tested for a gluten allergy last year. It came back negative but my doctor said that that does not mean that I couldn't have a gluten "intolerance". He said there is not test to determine that, except to eliminate gluten from your diet completely and then VERY SLOWLY add it back.
I do have an eye disease called Iritis. It is a form of Uveitis. It is inflammation in the Iris of my eye. It does cause very blurry vision and extremely pain in your eyes when you go out into the light. It is basically your pupil constricting or getting smaller, and then not being able to go back to the normal size. If your son has it he will probably complain about being in the light and his pupils will be very small, like the size of pin hole. I developed Iritis a couple years after I was diagnosed with UC. My eye doctor told me that it is common for people with auto-immune diseases, like UC and Crohn’s, to also develop inflammation in other parts of their bodies and the eyes are a big one.
You need to take you son to have an eye exam soon. If he does have something like that it can cause permanent vision lose, cataracts, glaucoma, and swelling of his optic nerve. It may be something as simple as he needs glasses and that's why he squints. But you shouldn't mess around with that. When I got it my doctors took aggressive action to clear it up quick. I have to get steroid injections in my eyes when I have inflammation in there. I am on Remicade right now and have not had a flare of Iritis in almost a year.
I have a cousin who is 9 years old and she has severe RA and Iritis. She recently had to have surgery on her eyes to have steroid implants put in because they could not control the inflammation.
I don't want to scare you but just take him to get checked out.
Good Luck!! I hope and pray that he will be okay. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 03/31/10  4:58pm
" Wow...4 years old.
Read all the information you can get... I did, and still found certain things worked for me and others didn't.
Start with a food diary:
Write down everything your little guy eats - keep track how it is prepared (like with butter)... keeps tabs of each day that he complains mark it as good day or a bad day...soon you will see enough days to notice if different foods trigger his flare-ups. My trigger is dairy products...and also sugary items caused bleeding. But I'm told it is different for everyone. Once you discover what triggers your little guys flares you can avoid it... Remember to read all ingredients for that trigger food and stay away from it! I've done this for 31years now and have not taken drugs and have not needed surgery. Good luck to you and hugs for your little one! "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web