How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Hyperthyroidism and Ulcerative Colitis connection?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
While looking in to the reality that I have a thyroid problem and have for over 30 years, that has until recently be untreated. I came to understand that thyroid disease are often labeled under autoimmune disease just as Crohn’s is. As I was doing my research, I ran into this article….

The co-presentation of acute ulcerative colitis with hyperthyroidism is rare but the coexistence of the two conditions may adversely affect the outcome of the acute colitis. We present a patient with coexisting hyperthyroidism and ulcerative colitis.

A 42-year-old man presented with tiredness, weight loss, abdominal discomfort and bloody diarrhea. There was no family history of thyroid disorder or inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). He was tachycardic but there was no goitre nor any features to suggest thyrotoxicosis. He had generalised mild tenderness of the abdomen and rectal examination revealed blood. His inflammatory markers were elevated, flexible sigmoidoscopy and biopsies confirmed active ulcerative colitis. He was commenced on mesalasine, intravenous steroids and fluids. His tests revealed a raised T4 (41.6 pmol/L) and low TSH (0.01 mu/L) confirming hyperthyroidism. He was started on carbimazole and propranolol. However, his condition continued to worsen and cyclosporine was added. His inflammatory markers and thyroid function improved initially (Figure). The T4 remained steady throughout his illness but there was marked rise in the inflammatory markers with significant deterioration in his condition requiring an emergency colectomy.

http://www.britannica.com/bps/addit... For the rest of the article

I was wondering in any one with UC has had their thyroid checked.. Especially in the face of the reality that sever thyroid problem (hyperthyroidism - like graves disease http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/... ) can cause chronic diarrhea and
Evidentially lead to bleeding do to a warring away of the lining of the colon.

I have Hypothyroidism , which is a condition in which the body lacks sufficient thyroid hormone, which often results in weight gain or inability to lose weight as well as low body temperature. Thus I tend to gain weight with very little food. While hyperthyroidism is to much thyroid causing the body to work over time, and in the process weight loss is inevitable symptom..
Posted on 08/02/09, 07:30 pm
2 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Crohn's Disease & Ulcerative Colitis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/03/09  10:43am
" Thanks for posting this. I have graves disease and UC. My graves disease is controlled with medication. I haven't noticed it adversely affecting my colitis, although I did know they are both autoimmune disorders. But I am glad you brought this to my attention, maybe I should get my thyroid levels checked now that I am having such a bad flare-up with the UC. Maybe it is part of the problem! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/03/09  10:56am
" I made an appointment in June, soon after my dx, to see a doctor that works with hormones. I had had them checked by GYN in Oct 2008 first blood test came back low the second ok so he did nothing. I am now going to see someone that uses either 24 hour urine or saliva tests which are more reliable than blood(serum).

I am going to ask to have the following tested:
estrogen - estradiol/estrone/estriol
Progestrogen
Testosterone
Free T3/T4 (thyroid)
Cortisol (natural steriod)
25 Hydroxyvitamin D3 - secosteriod hormone (anti-inflammation and affects immune process)

If you want to find a doc you can call 608-833-4767. D has been found to reduce chances of colon cancer and breast cancer by 50% and MS & RA(autoimmune diseases) by 41 & 42%. Normal ranges vary over the US but a healthy range that in research decreased you chances of these diseases was about 75-100. VSL#3 probiotics put people with UC in remission but WHY do you have to keep taking it? Something is wrong with GI environment and I think it may have something to do with pH and hormones that are out of balance. Just a Theory of mine.

Best wishes to you,
EP
www.RAMSwebsite.net "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web