Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Stricture and low fiber low residue diet
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I have found out that I have a bad stricture and a fistula to my bladder. I am considering the low fiber low residue diet as self therapy for this condition as the surgeons do not want to opperate at this time.
Has anyone tried this? Does it really help with keeping things moving? It is quite confusing to me how it works. I always thought high fiber kept your bowels moving. I take narcotic pain meds as matenence and am concerned of this causing constipation.
It has in the past. They have actually went as far as to blame the blockage on the pain meds instead of the stricture or heavy diet (which is more senseible of a cause in my opinion). I understand that narcotics cause constipation, but I take stool softners and vegatable laxitives at home. Do these meds contradict the low fiber low residue diet?
I am facing 4-5 MORE days (today is my 12th) here with Flagyl and 60mg/day steriods. They will NOT listen to me that the steriods and Pentasa are NOT working. I hate them both and neither has helped. I have simply gained 60 pounds in 6 months. UGH!
Any advice and discussion if you haave been here would be appreciated. I am new to all of this having my diagnosis in Feb 08 and started day one with blockage, stricture, fistula and chronic pain/constipation and inability to pass gas.
Posted on 05/04/09, 02:07 pm
10 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Crohn's Disease & Ulcerative Colitis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/05/09  12:21pm
" if you have a stricture or blockage, you may want to try liquids. Low Fiber/low residue is a diet that slows transit time so that the bowels can rest, it will not get things moving. However, it may seem that it is getting things moving because your stool will have less bulk and move easier through a stricured bowel. I hope that makes sense.

If you are low fiber/low residue you will not be eating foods that are difficult to digest (raw fruits, and veggies, seeds, nuts, corn, peas, whole grains, etc.) and dairy will be limited to 2 servings a day.

After a stint on this diet you will need to add fiber back into your diet but do it SLOWLY to minimalize gas and bloating. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/05/09  1:28pm
" I forgot to mention that I am currently on my 12th day NPO inpatient and the blockage is gone, but the stricture is not and will not be until the meds they are going to try works or they do surgery. I have been NPO for 12 days, liquid diet for breakfast and am waiting on my first regular diet to come anytime now. I am speaking of a diet to practice at home as maintainence to keep the blockage from returning for the 4th time as this is my 3rd bout with it.
Hope that clears things up. Thankyou for your reply!!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 05/06/09  11:03am
" I too hate the way prednisone made me feel. Pentasa caused me to lose almost all my hair, bad headaches,additional stomach pain. I was on prednisone for about a year (90 to 60mg)and finally got off of it and it left me with weight gain. I know it is hard but you really need to control what you eat and realize it is the meds. Also swelling and water retention can be caused by prednisone (the side effects are long).
I am also on a narcotic pain med as maintaince and constipation can occur with it but I don't think it can cause strictures. Blockage is when the bowel constricts to small for something to move through.
If you are on 60mg of prednisone you have more than 4 or 5 days of medication. Make sure you taper off of it very slow so your chances of regressing is less likely and you won't experience as many problems with side effects. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 05/06/09  2:47pm
" well I spoke with someone from infection disease department today to determine if I am healthy enough for Remicaide with the bladder infections I suffer from because of the fistula. I don't know about anyone else, but if INFECTIOUS DISEASE has to be consulted before I get put on a meds...I DONT WANT IT!
Also found out I have Hepatitis b?????? WTH????? I don't believe it. I have no idea how that could have happened. I don't do anything to have gotten this and was just tested a couple of years ago when I was having my last baby. I am really scared because they are not telling me much besides that I have it. What does that mean for me????? What do I do with that info???? Do I have to stop taking care of the lady I do home health care for? Do my children and husband need to be tested? I don't understand why they are not talking more to me about it. I am very scared and very frustrated. What is your experience (anyone) with Entocort???? I think I am facing that next step. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 05/07/09  12:33am
" Blockage, stricture, fistual.... watch what you eat. Sometimes going back to a 'basic' diet... and then slowly introducing (over a week or two) new foods back into your daily diet might help. You can learn WHICH foods are the culprits....

Good Luck!

As far as the inability to pass gas....? Try some anti-gas pills.... watch the foods that give you gas, which are (example) Dairy, Broccoli, Beer, yeast products (some breads, etc), pasta (rice is OK!), cheese, WHEAT....

To relieve the gas.... find a comfortable position. I no longer have a large intestine (as of 10 years ago later THIS month).... so find a comfortable position, floor, bed.... I prefer the floor.... lay on your stomach.... roll side to side.... see if the gas moves around towards the 'opening'.... if not? (after like 5 minutes), try on your back... bring your legs (bent) to your stomach.... like a crunch or sit-up.... couple of those... roll back to your stomach.... if not? Ok... try your sides.... lay on your left side... legs curled to fetal position.... try to just 'let it out'... don't force it.... left side... nope? Right side then.... Just find 'your spot'.... and you should be able to release the pressure...

Good Luck!

- Nick "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 05/07/09  7:04pm
" low residue is working for me, since april 1st after hospital stay for complete blockage....worth a try? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 05/09/09  3:54pm
" You need MOISTURE and alkaline based foods.

Eat lots of banana, papaya, mangos, coconut water, Stick to those, dont worry about heavy foods, avoid meat, any sort of gluten products, rice is okay.. maybe millet, but we need to alkaline our bodies.. not create mucous or more disease "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 05/09/09  11:48pm
" I have many strictures. I take 8 to 10 stool softners a day. I also take opiates for my pain. When I experience an obstruction I take mom and then go on a liquid diet for as long as it take for me to pass gas, usually about one to two days. A lot of doctors will blame an obstruction on narcotics, but that usually isn't always true. Mom dumps a lot of liquid into your small bowel and also relaxes it at the same time. I haven't had to go to the hospital for over a year, when I was going to the hospital every 3 months for obstructions. I don't know about the bladder, I haven't had to deal with that but the MOM therapy has really worked for me. Take care and I hope that you find a way to manage your obstructions. binet "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 05/09/09  11:55pm
" You dont find the stoll softeners hard on your stomach at all? I would imagine they are stimulating, and could create chaos.. Also what is mom?

I do take oxycontin for my pain, but I need to get off of these.. there starting to effect me mentally, what do you take for opiates? :\ "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 05/10/09  7:13pm
" The stool softners are not hard on my stomach at all. MOM is milk of magnesia. I learned this from a nurse who told me years ago it was the first treatment they used for patients presenting obstructions in the ER. As for the opiates I take, I drink water all day long. I always have a bottle of water in my hand even in the classroom. Between that and the stool softners I don't get constipated. I also eat a lot of fruit and vegetables. I have suffered a lot of anemia because my resection involved my illieum where vitamin B12 is absorbed. Also when I do get an obstruction I bleed. I just had a blood test and I hope the vitamin B 12 shots will help my anemia. I know that I have had a lot more energy since starting them. I also take a plant based probiotic iron and Broken Cell green algae and have for years. I also drink keiffer everyday. My goal is to keep from having another surgery which they wanted to do for my strictures but more surgery=more scar tissue and obstructions. Good Luck binet "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web