How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Does Turmeric relieve your crohn's pain?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi all,

I have had Crohn's disease for 5 years with constant battles to relieve pain and bleeding from returning. I have tried many natural alternatives however these have been a little too slow specially when the pain takes over. I have been hospitalised many times, on 50 mg pred for long periods, as well as Salofalk. Currently on 2mg of pred, about to come off Very slowly :-)

I never have given up hope with natural medicine. So I recently included Turmeric into my dialy diet. I basically have been adding 2 fool tea spoons into all my cooking. I red somewhere that in order for it to work it should be always mixed with an oil (I use organic Olive oil) this way the body absorbs it into its fatty tissues.

I am always a little sceptical with these things as I have suffered so much with this condition that I don't want to jump to any conclusions. However something is working as it is the first time in 2 years that I no longer have bowel pain or bleeding.

I am wondering if anyone else has had positive experiences using Turmeric (curcuma)?

Cheers,

PazH
Posted on 08/20/08, 06:15 am
6 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Crohn's Disease & Ulcerative Colitis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/21/08  11:00am
" Hi I just read this. Its very interesting to me because someone recently told me that Turmeric will reduce inflamation. I haven't tried it and I was not told how to take it. How long did you take it before you noticed a difference in your symptoms? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/21/08  12:21pm
" my doctor ( internal med) recommended a product that had turmeric in it.. I took it for a few months and I think it did help.. she also had 2 other crohns patients taking is with success as well..

http://www.thenaturalhealingplace.c... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/21/08  1:13pm
" It does reduce inflamation, I took it during a flare for arthritis (side effect of UC). It only reduces inflamation on an empty stomach, and it has digestive enzymes when taken with food. For the arthritis, I took it 3 times a day and in three days, the arthritis was gone!!

Another spice to consider is cayenne pepper, it is cool on the digestive tract and promotes healing, I've been told you can even put it on open cuts and it will heal faster. This one I have not tried... I've taken it internally though without any trouble, I can't say I noticed a difference, but at any given time I've been taking a lot of different things so it would be hard to know which is working, expecially on the subtler remedies. Supposedly though you can use the cayenne in enemas, and it should really help stop the bleeding (haven't tried that either).

Good luck and let us know how the turmeric is working out! Oh, you can even find a compilation pill of bromelain and turmeric, bromelain comes from pineapples and also has the digestive enzymes/anti-inflamatory traits. :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/21/08  1:15pm
" I started taking Turmeric daily about 5 months ago by boiling a little natural Turmeric mixed with ginger and a little honey. I didn't see any improvement while I was taking this way. Then I red a French article which said that in order for it to work it should be used with warm oil. I gave up using natural Turmeric as it is really messy and stained everything yellow, I now only use Turmeric powder (I try to buy organic). I started using Turmeric in all my cooking daily about 10 weeks ago, not a fan of drinking it strait up with oil, so I just started to include 2 large tea spoons of Turmeric into all my foods with a little olive oil, everyday. I have also tried Breaking the Vicious Cycle diet in the past, but I still had some nasty flare ups while following the diet by the book, however I did stop eating rice or pasta since I got the book 2 years ago. I feel better for it, not sure if it really makes a difference to my diet but as I am on Prednisone a lot and try to do all I can to keep my weight down to an acceptable weight.
The bottom line is that I have been feeling pretty good for a while now and I don't want to give it up. I carry a little jar of Turmeric around with me in case I go somewhere and I need to sprinkle a little over my food :-) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 08/21/08  1:31pm
" Actually, I also did read that Turmeric should be mixed with pepper for better results but I wasn't sure with type, so it's Cayenne. Thanks Runner:) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 08/22/08  11:41am
" Tumeric is supposed to have anti-inflam properties, but we found that it upset my son's stomach and gave him pain/vomiting. So, we avoid it. Instead we use Boswellia for inflammation. Haven't heard about cayenne... will have to look into it. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web